1982 Salsa Scoboni #5 "Restoration" *Final Photos Page 11*

Re: 1982 Salsa Scoboni #6 Build Restoration

theproscloset":2ak3upp9 said:
If you guys are referring to keyesville I can make sure this bike is loaded in the van if you want to check it out at keyesville.

I think it would be cooler if I brought it to Keyesville.

Bring it to KV and we can watch Nate and Tduc duke it out. While we're at it, we'll all take turns junk punching Nick for contemplating a repaint on this bike. ;) :p

So excited!

I'm not normally one to shy away from repainting a bike that's beat to hell, but this bike a) is historically significant, b) was repainted by the original owner a long time ago and all the patina is from him riding it (correct me if I'm wrong) and c) the paint is unique and the bike is recognizable largely because of it.

I wouldn't repaint it if were the ugliest bike on Earth, especially to a different, non-unique paint that looks like any of the other Salsa's from the same era. If you want it to look nicer you could send it to CyclArt or someplace else that does high quality restoration and repair of existing paint without replacing what's still there. I would leave it as-is and consider it a museum piece that still gets some trail time.

Jamis Diablo":17if7tn8 said:
Very lovely bike!
How come this was originaly grey and then painted yellow exactely like the one from Rumpfy?

The photos from Rumpfy is THIS bike. My guess from Eric's photos is that he took them on a trail up in Rollinsville? That dirt looks very familiar!

Cursivearmy":12xsg9zb said:
I think that by "restoring" the salsa you loose on originality.

Clean up the bike, leave the paint original, and source the correct time period parts, but don't repaint it.

You gain nothing and loose everything.

Unless you just want shiny paint.

The bike is rad. We have one of the first six at our shop owned by bushpig, they are awesome.

Cursivearmy.... given that you are in Nebraska and the nature of your user name I am guessing that you are in the music biz? We may have some mutual friends outside of the MTB circle? Saddle-Creek affiliation?

rumpfy":3r95x8j2 said:
But this is a more significant Salsa, the original owner being the guy responsible for one of the more iconic MTB logos ever. IIRC, he painted the bike that way pretty early on and there was a reason for it. He's put thousands of miles on that bike in that livery adding the patina. Line up the first six Salsas and you know in a second which one was Terrys.
Personally I think those things make it worth preserving.

There is only one bike out there custom painted Terry Holben, the guy who penned the Salsa logo, and you're about to wipe that away.

Hey Rumpfy, just to clarify for history sake. It is my understanding that Terry did not pen the Salsa logo, Ross did. Can someone confirm this?

theproscloset":1f6pk9tj said:
Hey Rumpfy, just to clarify for history sake. It is my understanding that Terry did not pen the Salsa logo, Ross did. Can someone confirm this?

I thought he'd penned it, but I could be wrong. It might be in an old MTBR VRC post somewhere. I'm sure you've looked up his forum handle...just needs some light digging to confirm.

Back