1959 Bates BAR

Re:

I think that the mudguard would indeed look better if it projected more at the front and in the past I have fitted these on the front of the fork crown, behind the brake calliper. I have never found short mudguards to be that much use other than protecting the brake callipers but on this occasion, after giving it some thought it seemed more logical to fit the front one like this. The thinking is that the tyre picks up water from the road and sprays it up the down tube but once given point on wheel passes the fork calliper there is nothing further to protect and as it rotates past TDC any residual spray should be thrown forward. I may be over-analysing this but that’s my current theory.

However, all that is academic because, as you correctly surmise I do not intend to ride it in the rain. Last year I went out on my Mercian and it rained; I cannot tell you how distressing it was, traumatic in fact. I feel upset thinking about it now.

But you’re right, perhaps I will err on the side of aesthetics!

Re: Re:

Martin Rattler":3brqzjku said:
However, all that is academic because, as you correctly surmise I do not intend to ride it in the rain. Last year I went out on my Mercian and it rained; I cannot tell you how distressing it was, traumatic in fact. I feel upset thinking about it now.

:LOL:

What a great looking machine. Interesting fork design, and I wonder if it has any effect on feel through the forks?

I'm also very interested in the frame stand in the first post. Any info on that please?

Re:

I went out on the Bates this afternoon for about 20 miles or so. It is settling down nicely but still needs a little more fettling. The transmission is still a little noisy so the chain line needs some further tweaks. The ride is unlike my other ‘50s bikes, the main difference being that the frame feels incredibly stiff, something to do with the cantiflex tubing I guess. The steering feels quite lively and twitchy and I guess that this has something to do with the geometry so the machine can’t be ridden hands off; I continue making adjustments so this may improve. So not a particularly relaxing ride, but agile and interesting and I look forward to getting some miles in over the summer and settling everything down. On the plus side, I thought that the brakes would be hopeless but these have turned out to work pretty well. I’ll update with more pics as I go along.

As for the stand, I picked this up at a local boot fair for a £3.00, lucky find. It’s nice and rigid and is just the job to leave the frame on during the initial parts of the build. There are no identifying marks on it other than ‘Workshop Stand' and 'Patent Applied For' so perhaps not a mass produced item.

Interesting you say it's quite twitchy. In the photos it doesn't look to be radically different in fork rake or relative stem and bar position. How does it look when side by side with a similar machine?

As for your stand. £3 for that is a very good find! I have discovered that type is called a Euro type stand and I certainly can't find one that looks as good as that for anything close to £3. Perhaps I should start going to car boot sales.

Re:

Excellent refurbishment .Love the colour .

Rain ah yes . I knew there was a reason,that I fit full length mudguards to most of my bikes ;)

Back