1959 Bates BAR

Re:

BAR Wheels by JuanM58, on Flickr

BAR Wheels 1 by JuanM58, on Flickr

I have been making slow progress with the BAR through the winter but here are some snaps by way of an update. As I said in my first post I had initially considered building it up with ‘80s components with a view to building it up with earlier bits later on but I have decided to build with the earlier components as they become available so it’s going to be a rather a bitza to begin with. The wheels are 27” Wolber Super Champion rims on Campagolo NT LF hubs with Sapin plain gauge spokes and a Regina 14-23 5--speed block. I built these up for general running about on the lousy road surfaces that we have round here; I have a nice pair of wheels with Airlite hubs for best. The steel stem is Titan as are the alloy Maes bars. GB Coureur callipers are fitted and I have a pair of GB Superhood levers to go with these. The headset is modern, an alloy Genetic Cranium but I am on the lookout for something more suitable. I managed to get hold of some repro mudguard bolts which are unique to Bates frames; these were sourced via EBay. The Brooks Pro saddle is too late really but I like the look of these with the cut-away nose that date from the ‘80s I think. I have a nice early Campagnolo GS derailleur although a steel Record might be nice; I also have an ‘open C’ band-on lever that I intend to use. I am currently looking out for a suitable cottered chainset and BB; I am thinking about a 5 bolt type with a plain TA chainwheel but I also think a Chater Lea would look pretty good so we’ll see. I have a plain Williams one from about the right era which I can use if I don’t find anything by the summer. I’ll update as I go along.

Re:

March by JuanM58, on Flickr

Bars by JuanM58, on Flickr

Crank by JuanM58, on Flickr

Some further progress with the BAR. Titan bars and stem fitted and the Brooks Pro saddle swapped for a period Lycett L15 ‘Swallow’ type obtained from last week’s jumble at Gravesend. I’m not sure whether I don’t prefer the look of the Pro though so the Lycett may not stay.

The Solida cranks came from a V-CC member via the classifieds in the club mag; they are in nice condition with good chrome and I am awaiting delivery of a TA 49T single chainring from EBay. The bottom bracket consists of a Bayliss Wiley spindle with random cups. While this seems to work OK, there is very little clearance and I doubt that the chainline will be great so I will have to sort out something better later on. I have decided to ignore the braze-on cable guides as I think that they date from an ‘80s upgrade, and have fitted a Campagnolo band on guide and chainstay stop with a single band on lever. I intend to use an early Campagnolo GS derailleur on the existing drop-out hanger, again I think that this dates from the upgrade but short of sawing it off I don’t think that there is any other option. I plan to replace the GS with a steel Record derailleur in the future.

GB Coureur callipers with Superhood levers have been added and I have had some fun with a small tin of Humbrol Ferrari red gloss as you can see. I have got red brake cables ready to fit and red cloth bar tape on order. She is going to look very flash; but she is an Essex Girl after all.

I had thought the frame might be a little on the small side for me but trying it for size this afternoon the stand over height is pretty much perfect, so that’s good news. Not long now before she will be ready for the road; just need some decent weather. More soon.

Getting there! I like the red details. Not sure on that saddle either, I think I preferred the other one.

The red details are very nice. I remember that I filled in the flutes of cranks I had in the 60s, and I think I may well do the same on a current build. The Bates looks gorgeous

BAR by JuanM58, on Flickr

Some more progress made with the Bates which is now just about ready for the road. There isn’t much more that I can do without riding it, so I’m just waiting for some better weather. A 49 tooth TA chainring has been fitted to the Solida cranks together with Lyotard pedals and Sturmey Archer clips. Derailleur is an early Campagnolo GS. The 19mm gumwall tyres are from Ebay and marked ‘Made in Yugoslavia’ so must be pretty ancient but don’t look to be in bad condition. The alloy shorty mudguards came from the forum classifieds and I have red cloth tape to finish the bars. I think it will need a bit of fettling to sort out the chainline which doesn't feel quite right and the brakes feel as if they are going to be pretty hopeless but that might be as good as they get! I’ll update when I get out on the road and set everything up.

Looking good! But try the front mudguard the other way round with the longer bit to the front. Looks better and works better to.

That is, if you're ever going to ride it in the rain!

Back