1950 Gillott Continental

A fantastic looking bike/build. I find I tinker around with the machine weeks after the it initial 'final' build adjusting and getting things as right as possible!

Re:

I don't know if you are aware but its likely what you actually have is a bike made by Ron Cooper, I have the same model, slightly later though, built for my dad in 56. At the time I think Ron was the only frame builder working at Gillott and it had been that way for a few years. Lovely bikes :D

Re:

That’s an interesting point. There is a fair bit of information about Gillotts on Classic Lightweights and by the time your machine was built Ron Cooper may well have been the only remaining builder but I think that there were a number of other builders working at the beginning of the decade, Ron Cooper amongst them. So it could still be one of his!

You are right, they are lovely bikes; I’d be interested to see some pics of yours. You should start a thread.

Re:

I've discovered a neighbour of mine has a Gillot and that they are both something of legendary cycling history, with records some of which apparently remain unbeaten. I'll be doing a bit of write up soon.

Great stuff! Love Gillott's and this makes me want to get on with restoring the frame I have in my shed which I must've had for like 7 years now!!! Wow where has that time gone???

Back