14" Clockwork

GrumbleJay

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I got this from from theboy last December. I'm calling it a '98 Clockwork but it could be a 99 or even a '97 or '98 C16 - I'm not that fussed. Frame is tiny at 14" and I do have an old orange fade frame in this size too.

By February I had it up and running after a friend gave the frame a coat of satin black for me. Most of the parts are vaguely late 90's with the exception of the Charge Spoon saddle, little Easton stem, Cane Creek headset and Hope barends. I'm particularly proud of my Middleburn cranks. Pretty sure i'm going to keep it rigid - it just looks and feels so right.

I have build it as a bike to be ridden. Also to look fairly nondescript to the undiscerning eye as it has a very public life living in the back of my car. I have a brilliant riding area straight out of my work carpark so have the bike handy for an afterwork ride.

A few months on it's been ridden a lot, is a bit dusty and has a few scratches. Only changes are the obviously needed longer chain, some Wellgo MG1 pedals and an XTR M901 front mech. It's my favourite bike and I nearly took it on the South Downs Way last weekend but grudgingly decided that I'm too old and soft to do 50 miles rigid.

main.php

main.php

I'll put one up in the next few days if you like. It's a bit tatty - a well ridden bike and a beaurtiful mango colour. With my new fleuro green Evo 2 arriving it's getting like a fruit collection

The forks seem to be the backwards ones that the Clockworks in the 1999 catalogue had, part of the reason I'll probably keep it rigid. As for stickers, well I might put an Orange one on the headtube but I really think it's less likely to get nicked without anything much else - and it does spend most of its time in the back of a Bellingo!

Not that short - a well-proportioned 5' 3". But for real trail riding it means I have decent standover and manouverability. I'm also old school in that I like my bars below my saddle height so don't think much of modern long travel suspension frames. I'm also only about 8.5 stone and too old for mega dropoffs etc so long travel suspension is lost on me.

Back