1 1/4 Threaded headset help

bigben230

Old School Hero
Hi, I've finally found some 1 1/4 forks on ebay for my M800 Beast of the east. My frame has a headset length of 167mm and the forks have a steerer length of 180mm. Does anyone know of a headset with a stack height low enough to allow these forks to fit?

Many thanks, Ben.

bigben230":2j1al821 said:
Hi, I've finally found some 1 1/4 forks on ebay for my M800 Beast of the east. My frame has a headset length of 167mm and the forks have a steerer length of 180mm. Does anyone know of a headset with a stack height low enough to allow these forks to fit?

Many thanks, Ben.

13mm stack headset eh, not that i know of!! I have a similar problem with an ahead setup (150mm head tube and 180mm steerer that cant be replaced) and the lowest stack stem i was recommended was 28mm or thereabouts so I need a 2mm stack stem... :roll:

good luck fella

You're not going to find a 1 1/4" headset with a stack height less than 28mm. Sometimes you can win a few mm by trimming the top of the headtube but enough for you. You going to need some different forks - suggest you try the 'MTB Wanted' forum, or find a friendly frame builder to extend your steerer. I had one done by Dave Yates a while back.

Good luck!

JustKev":2red4hxh said:
You're not going to find a 1 1/4" headset with a stack height less than 28mm. Sometimes you can win a few mm by trimming the top of the headtube but enough for you. You going to need some different forks - suggest you try the 'MTB Wanted' forum, or find a friendly frame builder to extend your steerer. I had one done by Dave Yates a while back.

Good luck!

can steerers be extended then? are they just welded to an extension piece, if they are not replaceable?

Yes they can be extended and it much easier/cheaper if you plan to run aheadset rather than threaded. Any framebuilder can do it - don't try it at home!

JustKev":3n1pen12 said:
Yes they can be extended and it much easier/cheaper if you plan to run aheadset rather than threaded. Any framebuilder can do it - don't try it at home!

This is good to know! I need to add ~40mm to my SID steerer (unchangeable :()and I didn't want to sell them on, do you recommend a frame builder I can contact?

EDIT - just saw you used Dave Yates, took me long enough to spot that!!

Back