Z2 BAM oil/seal change

Re:

Getting the old seals out took me the longest last time I did this. Tried using a tyre lever to lever them out, ended up using a taped up screwdriver to mash/prise them out.
Take note of which way up the oil seals go as you remove them.
Use the manual to get the right oil level.
It's easier than you think.

Re: Re:

jimo746":3k40x3jf said:
Getting the old seals out took me the longest last time I did this. Tried using a tyre lever to lever them out, ended up using a taped up screwdriver to mash/prise them out.
Take note of which way up the oil seals go as you remove them.
Use the manual to get the right oil level.
It's easier than you think.
I assume its pretty identical to a Z1,I did one of those a few years back and like yourself had grief getting the old seals out.Any special tools required?Any tips on oil type and amount?

I did some Z5 last week, I suspect they're similar.

once the stanchions are out, the wiper seal comes out pretty easy by using a flat blade screwdriver to tease the edge out - work around the perimeter.

The oil seal was stuck pretty well, I used pliers to rip away as much of the rubber as possible, then mangled the metal ring (revealed after you've ripped out the rubber) as best I could in as many places as possible with some needle nosed vice grips. Once done with that get a (long, 12"+) flat screwdriver and lever the seal out. Not too bad, but I'm used to working on cars...

To re-install, clean all the crap out from the seal seat, and put the seals in the freezer for an hour. grease the seat, and use the biggest socket you can to use as a drift to knock them in.

There is a small ring clip around the top of the oil seal, don't forget about it when you're taking it out and after you have it back in!

Marzocchi used 7.5wt in my z5, yours are probably the same?

Don't be afraid to give it some humpty to get them bastards out! I used the fork legs as the lever with a ring spanner on the ground to get enough leverage.

I used a big flat blades screwdriver(12") and wrapped the shaft of it several times in some duct tape to prevent any marking and to soften the shaft against the lowers edge. TBH ive done about 5 seal changes over the years and used the same screwdriver and its all went well.
I would hold the lowers in one hand, with the screwdriver pushed into the seal in the other, place one knee behind and use that to lever it out.

When the oil seal comes out its usually with a pop and it will fly across the room and make an oily ring mark on the curtains 😱 so place a cloth over it.
As above freezing the seals helps considerably in putting in the new ones.

When putting in the new seal, i used a piece of plastic plumbing pipe(the white stuff) and used sander to narrow the pipe down to the same internal diameter as the lowers. It made pushing the seal down so it was flat so much easier. I used my plastic pipe tool and a mallet to fully seat it.

Latest posts

Back