Your biggest frustration with retro bikes

Great comments. Agree with almost all of them. In a nutshell I would say my biggest frustrations are the need for:

More Time.
More bike money.
More Space.

Repeat theme in this thread seems to be the quality and quantity of bike one collects. It all ties into the variables above. How much space one wants to dedicate to old bikes, how much money one is willing to spend filing that space, and how much time one is willing to dedicate filling that space.

Certainly if money isn't an issue, one could fill their pre determined space with beautiful top shelf bikes in short order.

If space isn't an issue, Given enough time and money, one could eventually have a barn full of every model of GT made from 1980 to 1995.

If one were given unlimited time, certainly they could have an amazing collection and also probably buy and sell their way to a bike profit in this game by following Ebay, Craigslist, garage sales, thrift stores, and a dozen or so bicycle forum classifieds. Flipping what they don't seek and keeping the gems that produce that feeling of Zing.

I know personally, I have used my passion, limited funds, and bike time over the past several years to try and fill my allowed space with the nicest examples of old bikes that make me feel that special Zing. My desire at this point in my life is to continue to trade up through maximizing limited bike funds and time dedicated to my hobby. Subject to change at any time of course.

Heck, now that I think about it. This isn't frustrating at all, this is fun. The relationships, fitness, and new things learned about old bikes make it a fantastic hobby.

By far the most frustrating thing that I come across is some janky jury rigged solution (or repair) that some previous owner has devised. Some examples are: cutting off cable stops and derailleur hangers, wrong sized seatposts, too tight FD installation (same with bike stand clamps), using the wrong tools to cause rounding of bolts or even worse, actual parts like headset nuts and bottom bracket cups, poor attempt at changing the rear spacing, and not properly greasing moving parts.

It's likely been said a dozen times, but anything seized or cross-threaded... both of which were issues I spent all day on. (but with a good outcome)

Hustling some rare tasty component out of the hands of a part hoarder who enjoys taunting you with pics :LOL:

PeteC":gqn9e8mf said:
It's likely been said a dozen times, but anything seized or cross-threaded...

Yes! How hard is it to slap a little copperslip on a BB thread ffs?! If you worked in the Raleigh factory at the start of the nineties, I'm talking to you!!! :x

Waiting. Always waiting for something to either arrive through the post or pop up for sale.
What's even worse is when the 2 things you happen to be waiting on, you've given away in the last 12 months :facepalm:

wanting/owning too many, and only being able to ride one at a time. :roll:

and the difficulty in being able to say enough is enough and sell off stuff you've hoarded that you'll most likely will not use, need or get around to. :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back