Yet another lava dome!!! (1994)

bold stelvis

Kona Fan
New project day!

This arrived this morning courtesy of Retro Geek and 55 quid (included post, I'm happy - though I did break the cardinal rule of never buying a frame without the forks to go with it...) Dog collar and original seat clamp came with but are removed here.

I've wanted a Kona for about 35 odd years so finally good to scratch that itch! For some reason I'm also more enamoured by the mid range lava domes and cinder cones than the fancy pants Kilaeuas and Explosifs.

1726514904792.jpeg

I was initially a little worried about what looked like large patches of surface rust around the BB area but after much soapy water and nylon bristle action these turned out to be pretty much just old crud and grease.

1726515169035.jpeg

So actually a lot better than I was expecting - no real rust at all, but definitely a liberal smattering of stone chips and some scratches to lend it that authentically used patina :)

1726515195929.jpeg

as described, BB threads also look in good nick.

1726515226224.jpeg

First piece of the upcoming build has been sitting in my parts bin for a very long time and it will be good to finally give these a home:

1726515279342.jpeg

90s Ninja has set a very high bar with his recent 95 cinder cone build, so I'll have my work cut out to even equal that I think, but I'll try :)
not going for 100% original (I personally find that a bit boring TBH), but will be trying to find some interesting touches that still feel appropriate to the frame and period

I have been doing up a 1984 Peugeot PGN over the last year in a similar vein, and although I Initially made some dumb decisions and slapped a bunch of modern black parts and wheels on it, it has since been reverted to much more aesthetically pleasing period-ish polished alloy stuff while still enjoying much better brakes, more comfortable cockpit and a retro-modern 18 speed drive train. So I'll probably try and approach the Kona in a similar vein

though I think the TT measurements supplied by Kona must be effective rather than actual as the actual TT on mine measure 22.5...
I could have gone 18 inch as well and might actually prefer the shorter reach but overall a taller HT is probably worth it for higher bars (I intend to just run a slightly shorter stem to reduce the reach a bit, get some bars with some sweep back also.)

small update - Waiting on an emerald green nail polish kit to show up to try and at least somewhat mitigate the myriad stone chips - there was a deal on amazon for a green 'kit' with 6 different shades so hopefully enough to dial in the right colour (was only 7 quid so worth it)
treated the old girl to a nice shampoo, cut and blow dry in the mean time - what a transformation :)

I think once the stone chips are sealed in I may actually try sanding down the top clear coat just a little before polishing again and finally waxing - T-cut wasn't really making a huge difference to all the little scratches and imperfections

kona_05.jpg kona_06.jpg kona_07.jpg kona_08.jpg kona_09.jpg

"emerald green nail polish kit" is it metallic? I have been "patching" up paint on a frame since February with the actual colour code and that is still not easy.

Maybe drop Sam a PM to see if he ever found the match, it will be a car colour like Ford or alike. The frame is looking great as it is, lovely colour that. They did a metallic grey back in 1994 which was also lovely.

Back