XTR M952 Short Cage - Maximum Rear tooth capacity

Thank you all for the advice and guidance I think I have smaller range 9 speed cassette knocking around somewhere so I’ll swap it over. Thanks

The biggest issue with older mechs on larger cassettes is that the arc of the parallelogram isn't moving in the right line to work from 11T up to xT. Cage size limits the mechs ability to absorb chain slack but the actual mechanics of the mech are what limit cassette size if you want proper shifting. I think the biggest the M952 will have been designed for is 32T - although 34T cassettes were available at that time they were few and far between. 36T was only introduced with 10spd. I used to run a Saint M810 SS on them and they were fine because the arc of the linkage was designed for it.

I've just had the exact opposite issue with the XTR M952 short cage.

I was running 9sp 11t to 34t at the back and 26t 36t 46t at the front, all was gravy, then i swapped the chainrings for 27t 36t 49t and everything at the small end of the cassette would cause the mech to fold over on itself to such an extent, the chain would rub the cage, both above and below, i tried every adjustment inc a new chain which i cut to different lengths, the only thing which sorted it was swapping the GS cage for an SGS cage.

Back