XTR M900 Chain Recommendations

jdcXheaknuL658S

Dirt Disciple
Morning,

I am just about to put an M900 Groupset on my build, and am wondering if anyone can advise on what chain to put on it.

I gather M900 XTR is CN-7401 HG, but I can’t find any NOS on eBay.

I can see HG54 chains, HG40, HG71, all for 8 speed, but don’t really know what to go for. What is recommended please?

Thanks.

Re:

Any 8 speed chain will work, and dont feel limited to shimano unless you have manufacturer ocd (I do, but not where chains are concerned). I tend to go as high up the chain food chain as I can whichever brand i choose, though tend to avoid ones that are hollow pin, drilled limbs etc as they wear fast. Kmc or sram are what I'd go for, as I prefer the joining link option rather than the pinned join.

Whatever you go for, make sure you measure/calculate the number of links you need before removing any. You can put them back, but the chain is never the same or at least takes some fettling to make it as free moving as the rest of the untouched links.

I swear by KMC chains (I swear at Shimano -- literally when my Power Awesome™ broke the plate on a newish Ultegra chain a couple of years back).

I tend to go for the fully nickel plated ones. The X8-99 being the right one for 8 speed. This seems to be simply called the X8 Silver now.

Back