XT / XTR - compatability and components mid to late 90s.

StimCity

Dirt Disciple
How do all, i'm confused.

I have a Hyperglide C 8 Spd Cassette
XT Front Mech M735
XT Rear Mech RDM 737
XTR Chainset / Cranks FC-M900 (Well I think it's XTR)

The front mech (bottome pull) is quite rusted on the plates, so may replace, what would work?

The rear mech appears to be just fine.

The chain is a bit of a red mess but not sezied, but I would like to replace with a new one but don't know what to get!

As i'm stripping / rebuilding, I'll also be putting in the cables that come with the XT shifters I have hanging around.

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers!

Any 7/8sp front mech will work fine as long as it's bottom pull, I think there's a good condition xtr one in the for sale section for £30.

"The chain is a bit of a red mess but not sezied, but I would like to replace with a new one but don't know what to get! "

7/8 speed chain according to depth of pockets!

9spd chains work well in 7spd systems.

front mechs are not so easy as some are designed for low pro cranks and smaller ratios such as 42/32/22 whereas some are designed for larger chain rings such as 48/38/28 and have a different reach.

Cheers all, now need to work out whether to move to 9 speed as I have some unused SL-M750 with cables.

Toss up between moving forwards 4 years and changing few pieces or just a couple and going for anything I can get that's 8 spd based, I WILL not use gripshift again.

Back