xt shifter repair?

Rib

Dirt Disciple
Hi, i've got a 1997/8 xt shifter/brake all in one. Is there a way of repairing the ratchet in the shifter, it feels like it's worn, so when you go to change a gear it slips, Are the shifters tricky to disassemble/assemble?

And a GT sts question, where can i get the disc brake adapter to run an I.S rear brake mount, the frame has the tiny mounts for the fomula disc brakes that came with the bike originally and also where can i get an air shock for it? Finally, can the aluminum bb shell be repaired without damaging the carbon?

Cheers

The XT M739 shifters are tricky to fully disassemble, or rather nigh on impossible to re-assemble afterwards.
The teeth in the ratchet mechanism inside also have a reputation for chipping off, especially in cold weather. I've been through a few right hand shifters over the years and they have always broken in winter.
Funnily enough, the cheaper STX shifters seem to be more robust and I've never had the same problem with them.
You can easily remove the lower shifter cover to have a look at the teeth. If any are broken then there isn't much you can do except find a replacement shifter unfortunately.
If the teeth are okay, try flushing the mechanism with GT-85 or similar to clean out any muck, and put some new cables on.
This may remedy things.

I can remember pulling apart my shredded STIs and rebuilding them.

It took days.

Both the ratchet pawl and the ring of teeth had been chipped and were useless. I had got a set of "for parts" shifters from the bike shop (who warned me there were "96 moving parts" or somesuch) and finally did manage to get them back together. Once apart they're not too bad - but be prepared to search for the circlip when it shoots itself into the stratosphere. Or get spares.

My teenage mind was able to comprehend the workings, but my teenage hands got blistered and bloody trying to hold the springs in place.

These days I know better and just scavenge until I find a set that works.

If you need parts I've got a RH XT shifter, the ratchet is fine. I think the lever snapped IIRC.

Re:

On this design as mentioned it's the big pawl that chips.
Just find another and fit it. The LX should fit straight on and are the same if you cannot find an XT.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":e3mpyd1g said:
Just find another and fit it. The LX should fit straight on and are the same if you cannot find an XT.

Often seen here and ebay. In fact ive sold 3 new (2fronts/1 rear) in the last 18 months.

Quick ebay google brings up this :LOL:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M739- ... 3392e222f1

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1ihxc3ln said:

LX M567? Btw do the m739 nonSTI shifter pod lower part fit on the STI unit?

Back