Xt m732 thumbies and 9 speed?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got some lovely thumbies I plan to use on a build (tufftrax). It will be running xtm737/9 including wheels, but not sure whether to run 8 or 9 speed.

The thumbies have 7 clicks I.e. can index 8 gears but my question is will they cope with a 9th rear cog albeit non-indexed?

Cheers

Can I use the index mode for the 8 gears and the extra cable throw in friction for the 9th though? I know they will work in friction mode for all gears, just used to indexing.

the spacers are slightly different for anything other than 7, and will always be a compromise......friction mode will work best.... :D

Friction works fine with m732 thumbies and 9 speed. The throw is short and takes some getting used to, but it works. An 8 speed cassette and indexing is nicer.

why loose indexing for the extra gog you'll probably not use or not use often.

could try making yourself a 9 speed plate.

just run an 8spd cassette. shifting will be fine. If you want you can try the alternate cable clamp method on the rear mech but most of the time 7spd thumbies and an 8spd cassette work fine.

The cog spacing is closer together for 9spd and all you will do is have two or three gears that will index well then the rest will be all over the place. There really isnt any point in trying.

Cheers all, that's the info I was after. 9 speed and indexing = bad. 8 speed and indexing = good.

Intrigued by the idea of making an indexing plate for 9 speed though, tell me more.

You would have to make a new plate with the indents drilled closer together...

...not impossible, and an interesting project if you have the time and skill required.

just a steel punch is required - it gives the little ball bearing something to pop into as you shift the lever around. tricky as you'd need to get the spacing just right.

Back