WTF are these drop-bar bikes?!?

Forks look pottsy
For the man, seems to be a Steve Potts type II fork. Wheels are not so big. So, only mountain bikes with 26” but with drop bars

- Edit: found a better resolution pic of the ad -

Indeed the dropouts look like they could be the scalloped ones Potts uses.

Dropout.jpg

I was wondering what the head badge/sticker on the other bike is. Because of the lugged crown I was thinking early Moots or Mountain Goat, but neither of the logos seem to match.

Logo.jpg

Never heard of Jill Barr either, but I´m living under a stone. Apparently she makes an appearance in this rather excellent documentary:

screenshot.jpg

So the name may not be just the product of imagination of an art director.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the head badge/sticker on the other bike is. Because of the lugged crown I was thinking early Moots or Mountain Goat, but neither of the logos seem to match.

logo-jpg.830936
logo-jpg.830940

My first thought looking at that head badge is Univega:
Univvega_brand_category_1200x1200.jpg

My first MTB was a '93ish Univega, with this head badge logo in white. And the forks look similar to me to the ones on these old drop bar Univegas (the one below is a Viva Sport)

516300964_ede09612b4_b.jpg

Last edited:
My first thought looking at that is Univega:

Univvega_brand_category_1200x1200.jpg
Were they around in 1985? The ebay auction where I found a better pic claimes is from the 1985 NF catalogue

Here´s the (straightened out) pic from the auction:

NF_1985.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Were they around in 1985? The ebay auction where I found a better pic claimes is from the 1985 NF catalogue

Yes, and in the 70s even. Maybe something like this, modified with 26" wheels to allow for fat tyres?

"Guy" is Wes Williams of Willits and previously Ibis Cycles.
He rode a Ritchey with Potts fork early on and then his own custom Ibis from 85 onwards

Reactions: Woz
The guy's bike defo looks like Marin Rockstar forks. As for the marketing niche on these machines the "Rubble Racer" [Copyright Bobu, all future uses should be referred through my Samoan Attorney] to supercede any need for a gravel bike in the next marketing race....

Back