Wot happened to fat bikes

Good effort Jamie, that looks wild.
We were lucky and only had a couple of inches on Tuesday night. Went out for my local loop on Wednesday with the plus bike (650b x 2.8. ) and it was perfect. Cold temps have avoided the usual thaw/freeze cycle and the snow is still powdery and grippy without being too deep.

I'm on studs here in Crook of Devon. Send some of that snow down to me please ;) I think with the amount Jamie has I'd be on my XC skis.

20240617_155821.jpg
So after 7 years of use the " Mint Sauce Fat Bike" turned it's last pedal stroke on the Surly100 this weekend ( wearing it's 29+ wheels). Picked up my new frame from Graham Foot
Messenger_creation_86818810-1734-4ec8-a56d-d8b0b539b774.jpeg
So just started stripping the frame to transfer the forks and brakes over.
So I have an offer for the " Fat Curious" , the frame is tatty and the bottom bracket cups are stuck in with JB Weld ( new cups last November and have held well), so happy to let the frame go for free with the original rigid fork ( which is as fresh as a Daisy). I can provide lots of bits to complete the build but the original wheels ( which all had new bearings and have original Mint Sauce stickers on the hubs) and the RaceFace Crankset I would have to charge for but not for too much. I have some 4.0 Maxxis Minions than could be had for free as they probably have 6 months to a years ride left in them. I can throw in all the original parts from when I bought it ( cable discs, 9 speed etc but you may want better parts). I'm coming to the York show so can deliver there.
If you are interested let me know and I'll see what I can dig out and get you experiencing that Fat Bike Magic😁

View attachment 860795
So after 7 years of use the " Mint Sauce Fat Bike" turned it's last pedal stroke on the Surly100 this weekend ( wearing it's 29+ wheels). Picked up my new frame from Graham Foot
View attachment 860796
So just started stripping the frame to transfer the forks and brakes over.
So I have an offer for the " Fat Curious" , the frame is tatty and the bottom bracket cups are stuck in with JB Weld ( new cups last November and have held well), so happy to let the frame go for free with the original rigid fork ( which is as fresh as a Daisy). I can provide lots of bits to complete the build but the original wheels ( which all had new bearings and have original Mint Sauce stickers on the hubs) and the RaceFace Crankset I would have to charge for but not for too much. I have some 4.0 Maxxis Minions than could be had for free as they probably have 6 months to a years ride left in them. I can throw in all the original parts from when I bought it ( cable discs, 9 speed etc but you may want better parts). I'm coming to the York show so can deliver there.
If you are interested let me know and I'll see what I can dig out and get you experiencing that Fat Bike Magic😁

Girvin fork on a 1 1/8" headtube with a disc and a 29" wheel? Tell me more!

Always wanted a Girvin on a modern Fatbike/ Adventure bike so approached @danson67 a few years ago and he built longer and wider fork legs to go on Noleen Crosslinks ( the best choice for this conversion). I have had the shock rebuilt and it is super smooth. About 75-80mm of travel which is all I need really but because of the J path the small bump sensitivity is fantastic ( I recently rode my 160mm Enduro bike with top end Pike forks which I hadn't ridden for 20 months and it shocked me just how good the Girvins are)

Last edited:
That girvin with fat tires is quite a thing.

The TI frame looks like ... I have seen that before. A group was ordering some titanium frames to a "far east" company and we found that the were in Aliexpress too they talk via aliexpress and made some gravel, MTB titanium frames some with their own specs.

I went to the oposit direction, far west (Oregon)

The TI frame looks like ... I have seen that before.

It's a custom made frame based on the Geometry of the previous frame but with a slightly longer top tube. Lots of mounts on the front triangle for all my bikepacking bits and mounts for all speedsensor and charging port for the Pinion smart shift battery.
Graham Foot of Smokestone Bikes ( and Bigfoot/Ozone E-Stays) designed it for me and he has a small manufacturer in Taiwan who does the work for him.

20240618_183042.jpg

Just built up today. Updated the firmware on the Smart Shift box but have a flashing red light of doom so not letting me calibrate it...workshop manual not very helpful, so looks like I need a word with Pinion ( new tech...don't you just love it!!l

Back