Wood burning stove

Re:

Clearview are excellent. Their factory is just up the road from me. Quite modern looking. If you want more traditional but equal quality the Wenlock stoves are great- again just up the road.

If you want the best, then the scandinavian stoves such as Morso take some beating. Having said that, there are loads out there and some of the cheep ones perform very well (we have a Tiger and it's excellent)

A good wood burner will heat your whole house.

Like Chris asked, where is it going, and what are you burning? Logs?

The space is the most important aspect, in terms of the base level of insulation and movement of air. You don't want to be underpowered, burners have maximum output ratings that are not the real day to day output. You want it to accept fairly large logs, sawing everything up is a faff and it is expensive to buy smaller cut wood. If you have access to free wood you will want to use it, and a larger box makes sense.

Saying that, if it is for a small shed or something, a cute wee burner can be just the thing.

Always nice to have a hotplate too. Stainless designs are a great idea, but often they are thin walled.

I built this one on the weekend.... From an old hot water baseboard system's expansion tank (originally 12" x 36", now 12" x 22") and some scraps around the house. Gonna carry it out to the log cabin I'm building in the woods a few km from home... A destination for winter hiking.

Took 2 days work, weighs 35# and cost me $40. First fire when the weather clears.

Built with a 120V fluxcore welder, an angle grinder and hand tools. Took 2 days.

J

iscervo":3obb2zbs said:
Little or Much Wenlock depending on room size/needs. Totally agree on seeing before you buy & self install is dead simple.

....depends. Getting a 8 Meter flue in a old double curve chimney w/o scaffolding, then bricking up
the knackered fire place almost 2 meters with a risk the stack could collapse is something I don't want to do any time soon.

FWIW, using a Godin Regence to heat about 55 square meters open space with no insulation at 400m altitude. Only 6KW rating but very efficient. Best to have a good lively fire in a small stove than a handfull of flames in a big stove.

Latest posts

Back