Wobbly spider

I would investigate further. Specifically, I would want to know whether it's really the spider that's at fault or whether it's where it's locked to the crank that's the problem. If the spider is perfectly straight but the crank is not, or rather, that part of the crank that meets the spider is not perfectly straight, then getting a replacement spider further down the line will just replicate the problem rather than solving it. The fact that you say that, not one, but two adjacent arms of the spider are out suggests that perhaps the spider is not perfectly flush with the crank or, if it is, perhaps the surface it's flush with is not as it should be, or it might be that the spider is at fault, which is what you suspect. Of the various possibilities, I would want to know where the fault lies before buying another spider.

Have you tried unlocking the spider from the crank and reinstalling really, really carefully?

I did reinstall the spider, yes. I carefully screwed it back down, but I mean it does go on at an angle, but there's no way to stop that, no matter how I rotate it, it engages more on the top than at the bottom of the splines. It's all assembled now but I can take off the drive side crank again if you would like a close up of how the spider engages unto the crank arm?

No. Don't take any more photos on account of me. It just seemed to me that the observed wobbliness is a symptom but whether the cause is the spider itself or something else, I couldn't say. Like LGF, it would bug me though.

No. Don't take any more photos on account of me. It just seemed to me that the observed wobbliness is a symptom but whether the cause is the spider itself or something else, I couldn't say. Like LGF, it would bug me though.
I definitely think it is the spider, because the crank arms themselves seem to engage straight unto the spindle and sit nice and snug with no movement. I did question why the spider didn't seem to engage every spline equally, though, but assumed it was designed to compensate.

Cheap bottom bracket? Installed straight?
Bottom bracket is cavo something. Cost me about the same if not more than a un300, so yeah it's definitely a cheaper range bb. BB looks fine and tapers look fine as well though, carefully installed with my Park tool torque wrench.

I could put in an order for a token bb if you think it might make a difference though I doubt it

You'd get a different wobble if the bb was a problem and you fitted it at a different angle.

Have you contacted BeTD yet, I would.
See what they say, they machine the things.
Changed a bit back in 2016 i think, but still ran by a family member making Middleburn and Goldtec stuff on their machines.

I think I may go on the drink and find an abandoned limestone cave and just abandon civilised human society. I never had a 1x crankset where the chain ring didn't go on the front...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-130135_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-130135_Outlook.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
Back