wibbly wobbly

bj

Retro Guru
Fitted some new Continental CrossKing folding 26*2. The tyres are stamped ‘tubeless ready’, however i am running them with tubes. When fitted the wheels look like they have a Serious buckle. I have tried wiping the bead with soap in the hope it would seat properly. Have tried riding the bike with nearly flat tyres to see if they would seat properly. Tried different rim tape. No improvement. Taking the tyre on and off just results in random amounts of wobble.

Put my old Michelin folding mountain dry, or Panaracer firexc pro, and the wheels run true! Put the wheel in a truing jig, and it runs true and round.

Any suggestions on how to solve the wobble?

I've had the same thing with Contis - Race King. I crashed last summer washing out the front wheel. The rear tyre developed a wobble which made the bike horrible at speed. I similarly couldn't get the tyre to run true again.

Two different things ^^^^ when you crashed you probably tore the plies in some way, i've done it to a Maxxis a few years ago, and it crops up every now and again on forums....

The non-seating thing. Is it a tubeless rim? Because even a bit of thick rim tape might prevent it seating in that case. And how high have you pumped to seat it?

(oh, having a tube in there can change how it seats as well.)

It is a non tubeless rim, and i assumed that ‘tubeless ready’ tyres would fit tubular rim. I have pumped tyre up to maximum rated 65psi, but no change. Have used a narrow rim tape to make sure wall is clear, with no change.

Had this happen too. The cure was, leave it pumped up to max psi overnight, very mild 5% soapy water applied all around both beads from flat.

Came back to it next day and it had sorted itself out.

Time, could possibly be a winner?

Good luck.

i pump the tyre up to approx 15 psi then press down the top and the sides on the tyre all the way round the wheel then i pump up to my normal running pressure of 35psi fixes it when i this issue with my tyres. It did take more than once to fix it.

Back