Why weren't ATBs a development of BMX?

I'd like to provide counter programming. Here's the Hall of Fame entry for the Koski brothers. Plenty of evidence that BMX and motorcycle pioneers were involved in the development of atb

"Don and Dave’s motocross background gave them a leg up in sourcing off-road parts for bicycles. In this period, before the internet, before mainstream bicycle magazines discovered the sport and before the founding of mountain bike magazines, mountain biking was barely known outside Northern California. In 1980, the family produced the “Trailmaster” catalog, the industry’s first mountain bike mail-order resource. It listed complete bikes for sale including Breezer, Laguna Cruiser and ProCruiser, and also framesets from Champion and Cook Brothers."

The first ever mountain bike catalog had bikes by at least 3 BMX bike builders

How about Sturmey Archer using a BMX cruiser to force Raleigh into the mountain bike game?

Fantastic history from the original owner, a Product Manager at SA.

On the Lawwill Pro Cruiser:
"the bike borrowed heavily from the worlds of BMX and motorbike racing and therefore a lot of the features on this bike were well ahead of their time including the 1x drivetrain, hub-mounted brakes, four-bolt handlebar stem, and extra-wide bars."

How about Sturmey Archer using a BMX cruiser to force Raleigh into the mountain bike game?

Fantastic history from the original owner, a Product Manager at SA.

On the Lawwill Pro Cruiser:
"the bike borrowed heavily from the worlds of BMX and motorbike racing and therefore a lot of the features on this bike were well ahead of their time including the 1x drivetrain, hub-mounted brakes, four-bolt handlebar stem, and extra-wide bars."
I wonder what happened to the bike?

And it could be argued that GT mountain bikes were bmx inspired but that was an 80s thing, not 1970s
GT already had 26" wheeled BMX bikes in the 80's which inspired my Tempest build, which originally started from my 1999 Tequesta which I bought to help me get back into cycling with a bad back (at that time, but has improved since, I gladly add)

Another discipline I hadn't come across until sometime in the 80s was cycling speedway. My next door neighbour was in to it. They had nobbly tires and I'm sure more sturdy frames designed to be thrown about. Iirc they had normal not BMX wheels (not sure what size though) and looked more MTB than road. No gears obviously. Not an evolution of the BMX, just an example that there were some other disciplines to borrow from back then.

I do think some responses are too bogged down in the BMX as a BMX. If one were scaled up for bigger wheels, you'd be a long way towards a mountain bike. So what if the BMX BB back then was a bit crap, wouldn't really have mattered much as you could still stick some gears out back and they would work.

I do think that the frame and forks would have worked but perhaps needed the influence of the road side for components.

I do think some responses are too bogged down in the BMX as a BMX. If one were scaled up for bigger wheels, you'd be a long way towards a mountain bike. So what if the BMX BB back then was a bit crap, wouldn't really have mattered much as you could still stick some gears out back and they would work
There's an important detail being overlooked. The 26" alloy rim was developed for BMX bike cruisers and was adopted by mountain bike builders. If there was no BMX bikes, there would be a very different development, Gary wanted 650 wheels, but they didn't exist. His klunker (made before he founded the Mountain Bike company with Charlie, the reason they're called mountain bikes) has a Cook Bros (BMX) fork. IMG_20240812_074351510.jpg
Picture from Being Gary Fisher

More from Gary on the influence of moto and BMX in the early days:
IMG_20240812_075642063.jpg
And for reference, a Lawwill Pro Cruiser 2.jpg

"Mert Lawwill went on to create many bicycle suspension designs over the years for Gary Fisher, Yeti, Schwinn, and others and was inducted into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame in 1997."

Last edited:
Back