Why we dont need loads of travel at both ends.

Anthony":1apy0yqk said:
Dr S":1apy0yqk said:
Would not have that problem with a bouncy bike.
Or tubeless tyres?

Tried them, just end up with white stuff all over the place whilst trying to fit a tube back in whilst in the dark pissing rain.

gradeAfailure":tisclnvj said:
Well put Dr S - this is exactly the reason I'm in the market for a 5-6" travel FS. I love retro stuff but have no desire to wreck it needlessly..

Those who slate modern 5"+ FS, how many of you have ever ridden a good one in anger..? ;)

Although I'm a confirmed steel hardtail rider (and at my age I'm hardly likely to change) I've never been one to slate 6" travel FS bikes either - having said that, I've never ridden one in anger .

I've never felt inclined to buy one, but that's probably as much down to the places that I ride - I don't ride at any trail centres ('cos we don't have any :cool: ) and I think that for the sort of riding I do (read scratching about in the hills and forests) one wouldn't be much benefit to me.
I'm probably too shite a rider to do justice to one anyway, not being a trail god......

KeepItSteel":lpvwzxtn said:
Andy R":lpvwzxtn said:
Great vid, great to se what a hardtail is really capable of. Its a s/s right?

No, it's geared
Didnt see him go up a hill ;)
Is it just me, or to hit trails that fast and with that much conviction would he/you not need to know them like the back of your hand?

Well, yes, he probably does - just like I know lots of my local trails like the back of my hand.
It's just nice to see someone ragging a bike on "normal" sort of terrain like most of us ride.

It wasnt a criticism, in fact quite the opposite. I was wondering if i'll ever be able to hit the trails with anything like his speed!
More to the point, I was wondering if its at all possible that he could carry such speed and conviction on a trail he'd never ridden before.
With alot of practice on the very same trail, id hope to be merely 50% as awesome...
And I agree, the 'normalness' of the trail added to it.

agreed, if could achieve even HALF his skills, i'd be proud! :shock:

what a cool video..........totally awesum........ :cool:

does anyone rememder the bombhole at malverns.no suspesion then, no disc brakes, no v brakes, just cantis????? late 80s early 90s....?

that video, reminded me of tomac. and julie furtado, both riding drop handle bars, and both at the top of there game, and multi talented in different cycling disaplines, i remember buying the bike specilized brought out back then, a bike called the rock combo....basically a stumpy in cro-mo, with drop handle bars, in turquoise and white.....anyone got a pic of that.?????...would like to see one again.....lol

i think the entire bike industry keeps us spending by doing there marketing thing.....is it putting more bums on seats, or has it gone too far......?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114901

Everyone is talking about going down................(don't go there)
I love all my bikes from rigid to DH
But given the choice for trail riding I grab one of two weapons
1: AMP suspendeded Rocky Mountain if its low land terrain 2" travel 24lb
2: Orange Partiot if its real terrain 5" travel 27.5lb

All my bikes are geared like mountain goats and honestly the Orange is the best climber, not up fire roads etc but in real alp type proper terrain, and I am still often riding by the top, not walking because i've spun a wheel and nutten myself

I don't get the first post, the guy was doing nothng different to what anyone myself included was capable of when 80mm was long travel back in the 90's (I used a stumpy M2 98 for "Extreme" riding). I saw no gnarly hard core riding there? Though it did look like some nice trails.

I have an NS Surge with 160mm trave forks (and a lot of sag) it's a heavy weight steel hard tail. I would not enjoy doing what I do on my Faith or Supreme DH on that, and my retro hardtails would have quite simply lead to injury or component failure.

Bikes quite simply developed into different beasts to meet the different requirements of riders. I don't do 50m off road loops anymore, I'm an old fatty now and my trail bike weighs 30-40lb. And a lightweight XC or medium weight full sus is not realy suited to my (lack of) style of riding and massive ass when hitting drops.

:LOL:

kaiser":2jl1kuum said:
Watching this one makes me realise I don't even need a mountain bike

http://vimeo.com/11695455

That's a great video, both the smooth skills demonstrated and the quality of filming and editing - due credit to the guy for having ability at both.

Does neatly illustrate the need for a suitable bike and skill level for your local trails.

Back