Why so big love for thumbie, and little for gripshift.

I agree with Maxipedia's post, pretty much sums it up for me.
Bitd I used Gripshift 800 x-ray and loved it, never had any problems, needed very litle maintainence, was light, always there in your hand to change gear quickly, I never had a problem with shifting by accident either, those shifters were lighter than the current Shimano offerings of the time and were on my bike for around 10 years before it was sold.
Nowadays I use Rapidfire shifters because as someone said above, they are the next best thing since sliced bread, they just work quickly & correctly all the time.
I do have a bike with XT thumbies, and tbh the Rapidfire units work better, but I find little difference in operation between the thumbies and the Gripshift I used to have, it's just personal choice as to which method of operation you prefer.
The thumbie probably wins the contest of retro-imagery, but when it comes to actually using them, it's all about personal preference.

GripShift makes for a very clean looking set up. If you can keep them working then I can certainly see the appeal. Only ridden with them a few hours myself and didn't have any issues.

I like thumbies for the friction option. You can place the derailleur exactly where it needs to be. Much less fiddling for smooth operation and there is a bonus of interchangeability. 7 or 8 speed, Shimano or SunTour cassette. It all works beautifully.

I have a couple trigger shifter bikes as well but they are more limited in the wheelsets I can use. The bikes came with them so I use them. If they broke I'd go with thumbies.

I think it depends a lot on bar choice too - with On-One Marys the different (natural!!!) hand position makes most other types of shifters not quite right but Gripshifts work really well.

I like their simplicity, never got on with rapidfire clickety things, but have thumbies / barcons on other bikes.

I had thumbies (200gs and XT) on two of my bikes bitd, followed by RF+ (M737), and although I had no issues from a performance point of view, I rode all of the time in "ready" position and have to say I think I did suffer from RSI, funny as an earlier poster mentions this with Gripshift.

More recently on most but not all of my retro rides I have Gripshift. (SRT800, SRT500, SRAM 9.0) and I don't really find the shifting performance any worse but do find the hand (thumb) position much more comfortable whilst riding and of course you are always in the "ready" position.

Interesting to hear what hamster says about Mary bars as I am thinking of trying some. Just bought a new bike (well 2004) and that is coming with RF+ so will see how I get on again with those.

It's all about personal preference, there is no right or wrong on this one.

From about 97 onwards Gripshift was all I used, I even sold a brand new set of rapidfires without ever using them just so I could have my Xrays back

It was only at the end of last year that I actually fitted and used Rapidfires (NOS M737) and whilst they work fine I don't think I've missed out on anything special,

As some of the other posts have highlighted, many Gripshifts are still going strong after ten years+ riding... so they can't be all that bad !

My thoughts are more akin to the springs in early Shimano mechs were too weak and thats the real cause of the problem :evil:
BASS WORMS, ROLLAMAJIGS were solutions to get over inherant Shimano problems

I now have, and use all three shifters, but still have a firm favourite... without the need for clunky levers sticking out Gripshift just look so sleek

Top to Bottom

Gripshift 1st
Thumbies 2nd
Rapidfire = functional 3rd place

The below statement is spot on.
development_cycle":n8jkulmz said:
It's all about personal preference, there is no right or wrong on this one.

i just stuck latest SRAM rear mech with a new gripshift onto my misses 95 Trek, we she runs it as a road cruiser 1x9.

its so slick, too slick really

ez054098":b5kgaovx said:
rocky ridge":b5kgaovx said:
gripshift = shitshifts

We called them Gripshit

Each to their own, but I consider your statement to be misguided
have tried all types of shifters and none are light years better or worse than a humble thumbie. Even at catalogue bike level the shifters are comparable
I'm not a great fan of Kleins but I won't slag them off as there's big love on here for them. . . . And they sold the world over in large numbers, enough for Trek to pay big bucks for a piece of the acton . . . So is everybody else wrong except me? No of course not.

Gripshift are no different, bought and enjoyed by millions.. . Even used by race teams

Gripshift was O.E.M kit on many bike, Now what I do agree on is lower spec Gripshift were used by some manufacturers to allow a lower price point/ better Gross margin, this is the gig that got Gripshift the mocking comments, nice bike crap shifters. . . . So I changed them !, but the same could have been said if the bike came with a "built to a price budget" Acera X shifters fitted instead of LX or XT offerings and therfore spoiling the Groupset and giving the impression to your mates that your arms weren't long enough to afford the real deal ! . . . . a bike with a complete matching groupset

History hasn't been kind to Gripshift which is shame as I continue to use Xrays and have no problems

As per my opening comment, it would be a boring world if we were all the same, and I respect your right to hold an opinion. . . . . Even if it is mis guided just like my view on Kleins :roll:

From my experience they performed well. when new or after a new set of cables.

Sdly the X rays i had were on my 97 Zaskar and i lived in wales so it was wet, gritty and muddy an awful lot. shifting deteriorated after a few weeks compared to RF+ despite a Raw power spring and almost fantical cleaning. Even a set of Gore ride on cables (in red to match all the red ano on the bike) and more agressive shifter grips wasn't enough to delay the purchase of some rapidfire plus pods.

More a case of the enviroment being unsuited to them.

hamster":2oqtk485 said:
I think it depends a lot on bar choice too - with On-One Marys the different (natural!!!) hand position makes most other types of shifters not quite right but Gripshifts work really well.

development_cycle":2oqtk485 said:
Interesting to hear what hamster says about Mary bars as I am thinking of trying some. Just bought a new bike (well 2004) and that is coming with RF+ so will see how I get on again with those.

+1 regarding Mary bars with Attack gripshifts. ;) I have that setup on the 03 RM Stratos for the missus.

Back