Why no love for Marin?

sishades":3smy8mtu said:
6fa95faa.jpg

Time for some new elastomers methinks. :shock:

Had a 91 Eldridge Grade... famtastic bike, ridden until 6 years ago when it was sold to fund my Pace habit. (Still regret selling)

Comments so far - workmanlike, yes, very much so
If you visit magazine lists of 'best retro bits' their zolatone paint jobs usually appear on these lists. After the zolatone paint they sort of went a bit boring looking. Fantastic bikes nonetheless. Maybe they just are seen as being as cool as Kona by the great unwashed?

(A quick poll of {serious}bikes being prepared in Hayfield car park on any given Sunday will have Marins as most popular, then Santa Cruz, followed by a tie for third place between Whytes and not square Paces)

Thought: maybe the Coolwall wasn't cool and had to banish itself

As anyone else noticed that almost as soon as this thread was started there have been Marins popping up everywhere on the forum? :LOL:

I think this thread can be seen as the turning point of the humble Marin in our great history - they are now officially cool and collectable!! :cool:

(PS, I had a lovely grey/silver '93 Palisades - my first real mtb! ;) )

Noticed that too!

I had on as a hack at uni. After selling my Orange prestige, and having a couple years on BMX/100cc motorbike/car, In 1996 I bought a 1990/1 era grey/black marin with Deore LX spec IIRC, the usual grey. it was well used and nowt particularly special, compared to my Orange anyway, but at £100 I had to. the grey doesnt wear well, and that can be off putting, though it is a clever paint job thats self preserving it seems.

Anyway in 2001 ish i got bored of chain suck and tired bits, and rebuilt it repainting in satin black with a couple new bits. It rode really good, very credible classic XC bike IMO, but not enough to hang on to it... I went trendy and bought a modern bike with good brakes and forks.

Actually thats a lie, the Promax cables and ballistic blades were the weakest link of my first Identiti! :oops: :D

In summary, great bikes but don't totally appeal, a bit too confortable image wise. I'd have one though i guess.

New ones get great reviews, I'd have one of those, pending test ride :cool:

I own 1992 Marin Pine Mountain

I purchased my 1992 Marin Pine Mountain in all it's flying pumpkin black and orange glory used back in 1992. I've rebuilt it 3 times now and haven't owned another bike since, and doubtful will ever need/want another bike. I ride both off and on road with it depending on my pref for the day. I'd REALLY, like to get my hands on a Browning fork for it as that would truly be the icing on my cake. It currently is powder coated deep purple, as in "Smoke on the Water" deep. As you can tell, I absolutely love this bike. I have 2006 XT all over it now. Can only rave about it (like that needed to be repeated.) Check out the brochure here...
retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73140&sid=726c153dc369f3003a228e0793060456[/url]

But the reality of Marins is that this excellent frame is for sale on eBay for the second time at £35 - the first time he tried to sell it he had one bid of £35 and the buyer didn't pay. I can't understand it, people pay more than that for a headset.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=003

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I agree - but this one's cheap because he won't post / courier it! Add in petrol and it's already £80 for most of us!

Back