Why no love for Marin?

I think BITD they had a classy look about them, but now comes across as just a bit boring really.

i guess manufacturers go in and out of fashion to a certain extent. It probably takes a couple of bad colour or graphic choices to put a serious dent in a companies image. Orange were a bit naff in my opinion, when they did the whole "angry Orange" thing.

Yes, I hate the whole Jungle / graffiti logos on Konas. I have one which I'm planning to fettle, but it will be with my own lettering choice.

yeah i was going to mention the Konas as well but didn't want to upset orange and kona owners in same message! both manufacturers seemed to be targeting a completely different market to their "traditional" buyers and went fully over to a more "yoof" image. not sure what Marin were doing as they just disappeared off my radar. Grey would be a good guess.

legrandefromage":oxuj2xq4 said:
I couldnt fault my Mount Vision and wished I hadnt sold.

Marin's second generation of these with the box swingarm were a good step in the right direction back from obscurity, but sadly they still had stupid sizing issues and strange suspension rates. Sadly newer full sus (and not just Marin) seem to now have that sit up in the middle and beg, or as my mate says, Ice Ceam geometry LOL.

I still remember going from a Super V to Mount Vision, and how well it climbed, and prefered the Marin head angles to Specialized FSR's of that year, and the Marin's also came with complete groupsets inc hubs and BB.

rowley":1kkeymyt said:
yeah i was going to mention the Konas as well but didn't want to upset orange and kona owners in same message!

Don't worry, this forum is for Grumpy Old men anyway ;)
Anyway, we aren't old, just...experienced.. :shock:

In the time I've been mtb'ing ie. the mid 90's to now, I've always considered Marin a good make especially their full sus bikes. Only problem I have with them is they seem to think a 20" frame is the largest they need supply !

Special favouride hardtail is their Eldrige Grade.......nice :D

Marin are like Trek, Raleigh or Schwinn, folks on here see them as nothing special workman like bikes.

Weirdos like me favour the odd gem that Emmelle, falcon, Royce Union and other budget makers occasionally throw out (yeah, yeah I know, throw out is the operative phrase !).

If you like Marins then shout about them !

rowley":1uysntqh said:
yeah i was going to mention the Konas as well but didn't want to upset orange and kona owners in same message! both manufacturers seemed to be targeting a completely different market to their "traditional" buyers and went fully over to a more "yoof" image. not sure what Marin were doing as they just disappeared off my radar. Grey would be a good guess.
But I'm hardly a yoof and I like the Hawaian style , so I can't see that it is yoof-oriented. But surely the issue isn't whether something was good or bad per se, but why is the proportion of Konas sold BITD that are still in active service so much greater (apparently) than the proportion of Marins. Are you saying that Marin buyers were older than Kona buyers, so that a greater proportion of them are now past it?

possibly because konas made more of an effort with styling etc hence more sought after or keepable where as marin were relatively subdued in comparison from about '93 onwards and possibly overlooked by a prospective purchaser or collector. i liked the early "tiki" styling just don't lke the later graffiti version jump bike stylings as much.
my dad had a pre 90's marin pine mountain and i guess they would appeal to a "maturer" rider. not that i'm saying anybody who buys elsewhere is immature before anyone says.

Back