Why no love for Marin?

johnkiteman":1ol4x9gu said:
I have the opportunity of getting my hands on a mid 90's bear valley - all original spec, hardly ridden.

Is there any point in bringing it back to life? or is it one for the skip :twisted:

This bike is in a shed and I could pick it up foc this weekend - is there any point?

Come on experts while thinking about Marins :)

Edit: I'll make the trek and get it anyway I think :LOL:

Early 90's Marins looked great and sold easily due to high specs, low weights and good marketing. The ride was however a bit of a let down for racers, in part due to the shortish top tubes and slack geometry.

There are probably hundreds slowly rotting in sheds across the land owned by people who were only interested in the sport whilst it was fashionable :D

It would be nice to see more of them here!

ededwards":g7c1z62i said:
Finally, interesting to see that this thread includes (more) questioning on Kona love!

Agreed. 99.99% of Konas are sh*t. I like TP's HeiHei though :oops:

johnkiteman":zvd5a431 said:
I have the opportunity of getting my hands on a mid 90's bear valley - all original spec, hardly ridden.

Is there any point in bringing it back to life? or is it one for the skip :twisted:

Hell, if you don't want it I will! :LOL:

Got a completely original '92 Eldridge Grade (well, barring saddle, one tyre and grips!) being rebuilt as we speak, so there'll be one more... plus I'm still trying to track down my own personal old '93 Eldridge that I sold about 10 years ago; wish me luck!

I think they were just perceived as the less cool of the mass market manufacturers BITD really, especially when compared to Konas (straight forks, preference of thumbshifters, much more sloped top tube). Mind you, I'd still have said they were cooler than GTs - and how many of them apart from Zaskars and the occasional Xizang do you see?

gradeAfailure":c6slufgg said:
you, I'd still have said they were cooler than GTs - and how many of them apart from Zaskars and the occasional Xizang do you see?

You have just reminded me.. I have a GT Karakorum frame that has been resprayed that has sat in my folks loft for the last 12 years, urm.. forgotton about until now. Never put back into service because of the lack of having a functional U brake if I recollect. Thanks for prompting my memory Dave..

A mate of mine back in about '94 had an Indian Fire Trail, the one with the machined bits on the rear triangle. Fitted with Mani forks and XT id was a stunning bit of kit, but about the only hard tail Marin I've ever been able to get excited about. Don't know why really. :?

In about '97 (i think) I had a B17. That was a really nice bike and I've had a soft spot the the full sus frames ever since. Every time I see a late 90's Mount Vision on the bay I get an itchy finger! :D

johnkiteman":hvguehiy said:
johnkiteman":hvguehiy said:
This bike is in a shed and I could pick it up foc this weekend - is there any point?
Come on experts while thinking about Marins :)
Edit: I'll make the trek and get it anyway I think :LOL:
A Bear Valley is a similar quality frame to a Cinder Cone, so I'd say of course it's worth bringing back to life. And even if you found you didn't like it as much as you hoped, I think it might have a reasonable eBay value once you had spruced it up - although they often sell cheaply, they tend to be presented in a sad fashion, you know, vertical bar ends, over-padded saddles etc. A well-presented Bear Valley is a nice-looking bike, as well as a good one.

Being a new comer i don't want to upset folks, I recently got my grubby mitts on a 1993 pine mountain which was put in the ebay watch forum. I can fully say that i thank the chain gods that i found this bike its great way better than my previous ride (scott expert racing).It is lite rides well for a 15 year old bike, yes a few battle scars but it gets ridden every couple of days and does a weekly twenty miles(i love it)

Mick D
for pic's clicky

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn450/radacman/

Marin never had a big racing team , so difficult to carry out a good image . we have 2 Marin in the familly , and they were chosen because they were discret and owners ( mum and grandad ) did not want something too bling or racey . Sadly one of them was stolen . My mum still uses hers everyday to go to work , and is original , with full STX on .

I think that Marins best suited all-day XC rides - the sort of thing you might do with a couple of friends across the North Pennines. However this doesn't attract much PR noise or the baggy shorts and tattoo brigade.

Probably many are still being quietly used by their original owners. The others went to Porsche-owning berks who went into their LBS and bought the most expensive bike. These are probably today's timewarp bikes on ebay or shed finds.

I have two - a 1990 Palisades that has since been converted to a drop bar tourer, which I have toured in the USA, Europe, Asia and Australia; and a 1994 Pine Mountain owned since new which is still my off-road ride.

As I like understated bikes neither has its decals since resprays 6 years ago. Those who appreciate bikes will enjoy them, those who go for labels won't. That's fine by me.

My first mtb was a 1990 Palisades and i always found it very comfortable and confidence inspiring to ride. I always hankered after the bear valley which was next up in the range but just out of reach.
BITD i thought they were well thought of as a manufacturer but all my mates were pushed towards buying GTs by the LBS in the same way bike shops seemed to push KHS a few years later.
I think in the late 90's early 0's they lost their way a bit. they were seen as a bit dull, uninspiring and aesthetically they were a bit boring.

The Palisades is still going strong (as featured in "The Ride" journal!) and currently on loan to my sister, the only things that aren't original are the saddle,grips,rear wheel and right hand shifter. not bad for an 18 year old bike and considerably better than more recent bikes i have bought with more expensive components.

Have recently bought a 1988 palisades which i am stripping down to restore with the hoping that it will prove to me once and for all that less is more.

i was surprised to see dave hemmings in the current ad campaign. Does he work for them now?

Latest posts

Back