Why no love for Marin?

Perhaps Marins were bought by people that actually rode their bikes and most of them have been ridden into the ground, whilst Konas were bought by less hardcore riders and therefore there are more of them around because they've had an easier life?

*stands back*

I had a 91 Pine Mountain- just like the one that just appeared in the for sale section strangely!

Gotta say though, I really did not like it. Has to be my worst bike purchase ever. Ride was not really exciting, bit dull. (The Orange Alu O I bought after was much better in so many ways)

Marin were actually quite popular by me too, loads about. No idea why there are less around now.

Think they went downhill with the Manitou-ish FS, and jumped on the anno bandwagon giving cheap anno parts as std.

perhaps Marins should go for the coolwall vote?

oh, the coolwall's gone.. what happened there?

I have the opportunity of getting my hands on a mid 90's bear valley - all original spec, hardly ridden.

Is there any point in bringing it back to life? or is it one for the skip :twisted:

Great thread Ed, I've always been surprised at the lack of Marin love, partly because my first offroader was a Palisades in 1989 but also as there were so many of the around in the 1989-92 period (probably longer, just my perception).

I was always under the (misguided?) impression that in the UK you had a high end Marin, Specialized or Kona as long as you didn't have an Orange (sorry, UK centric here). Oranges and, especially, Kona's abound but Specializeds and, in particular, Marins from the early 90s are much thinner on the ground. I'm sure this would make a great undergraduate research study!

Also, why no more love for Sracens and Muddy Fox, surely the Kili Flyer and Courier Comp, with crackle finish paint, are bona fide classics?

Finally, interesting to see that this thread includes (more) questioning on Kona love!

surely the Kili Flyer and Courier Comp, with crackle finish paint, are bona fide classics?

:D here, here (but then I would say that!)

My first off road ride was a Muddy Fox in 1982 (I think :oops: ), then my next ride wasn't until 1990 and that was a Marin (in a kind of anthracite and neon pink livery) - no idea the model.

Maybe we should have a thread where the non bling (God, I hate that word) under appreciated but much ridden bikes can shine, (under the mud/dust of the last ride obviously). A bit like the U.S.S.R. car club.

For the record I like Marins. Good simple lines with functional, (surely all you want on a mountain bike?) groupsets and components.

A very interesting read. It is true, old Marin's seem to have faded away into the mist of time. I remember being a kid an wondering into 'On your Bike' in Birmingham and a Marin Eldridge grade being my dream bike along with 1989 Saracen Traverse Comp in purple.
It is strange that high end Marin team Ti's are not lust after in the same way as Hei hei's are.
The reverse is also true. When I brought my Zinn back in the 1990's I was ridiculed for buying a bike that was not en vogue and I remember a local shop having two 753's for years that the owner had had on display from 1990-1998 without selling. Now people see them as desirable (or is that just me still).

As an ex-owner of three Marins myself, my first MTB was second hand 91 Bear Valley and then I bought two new from LBS which it was 94 Nail Trail and then 96 Nail Trail before buying the Cannondale in 99 which I still own, I was a Marin owner from 1993 to 1999 (6 years) back in the early '90's they were pretty good bikes to own but afterward it went downhill when they went to suspension frames, etc. Also I think it was the high top tube didnt look attractive while Kona's and other make's have the sloping top tube which looked good, the Marin's tend to look like 'gate bikes' compare to others. To me the best years of Marin's is 1990 to 1995 (early '90's) it's shame as they deserved better.

Latest posts

Back