Why Don't I like the 'good' bikes?

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the qualitles of a good steel frame, I've spent time on a Dave yates, and an explosif, but I don't lust after them.

I don't feel a hankering for Kleins (never have), and have never even mustered a passing fancy in titanium (except, strangely, for the dynatech lugged frames).

I find myself looking dreamily at lavadomes and clockworks. If anyone has a Rocklobster lying around, let me know.

Exceptions I have: Trek OCLVs, GT LTS (not exactly breathtaking), San Andreas' and Amps. All, in there own way, mass-produced, and less than exclusive.

I don't want XTR. XT is good, but DX was always adequate. I simply don't need Kevlar beaded tyres.

Anyone else feeling this?

My_Teenage_Self":3tu2tuge said:

With you on bits of it. Agree with the XT and DX sentiment. Disagree with the kevlar bead stuff... Agree with some of the bike choices not with others.

It's why this place is so interesting. We're not all blowing smoke up each other's ar**s praising the latest build of yet another identical bike.

Just look at the Retrobikes of quality thread to see an example of how diametrically opposed passions are in the retrobike world:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130981

I feel that a bit but i think if i could justify a higher budget i would lust after the high end stuff.

I'm happy with stx to be honest. Having said that my current long term project is full m900 but that is more because i want it original rather than because i particularly lust after xtr.

I completely know what you mean.

I think the reason why I'd prefer to build and own, say, a high end Kona over a Fat for example is because I remember seeing the Konas in the bike shops. I remember seeing them at the races. I remember lifting one up and being amazed because it was 10lbs lighter than my bike. I remember riding one and being absolutely gutted that I had to give it back. I remember wanting one more than anything else in the World.

I only ever saw Fats etc. in magazines and on Audi/BMW roofracks. Whilst I don't doubt that they're fantastic bits of kit, would I choose one over a Hei Hei or an Explosif? Not a (Fat) chance!

As you might know, I'm building an LTS myself. Not a rare or exotic bike by any means, but it was (and still is) one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. It's one of the first bikes I remember my friend owning, and making me green with envy. I can't wait to get it finished.

Then I'll be on the hunt for a Kona ;)

''And the medal for 7th place goes to....''

I dont mind the cheap stuff, however, most expensive frames ride better and are almost as widely available and relatively inexpensive.

Componentry is another matter though.

legrandefromage":18l39kam said:
however, most expensive frames ride better and are almost as widely available and relatively inexpensive.

You know what, thats the kicker isnt it?

I am all for people buying, rebuilding and loving the lower end stuff, however I cannot understand when people say 'its all I can afford', especially when they have 10 bikes that are all worth little, why not sell 5 of those cheaper bikes and buy one better bike? (its subjective/relative, its specifically vague, Im feeling incendiary)

I have no money to buy bikes (officially), however the last two bikes I bought were less than £100 each, and both are handbuilt (fillet brazed, from good quality tubing, by well respected builders), well specced and came from eBay and Gumtree - anyone else had as much chance of landing those bikes as me.

I think it's more to do with what the bikes mean to you. I'd like a few of the fair-to-middling mtb's from the early 90's as that's when I got into mtb's and that's what I had, my friends had etc etc
But I also like the "dream" bikes from back then, and as LGF said, they ain't all that expensive these days really.

Still, there's something nice about reviving a basic retro mtb, and what would I do if I bought my dream bike from bitd? I'd have no more retro-dream bike to dream of anymore :LOL:

My_Teenage_Self":ndm8blk7 said:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the qualitles of a good steel frame, I've spent time on a Dave yates, and an explosif, but I don't lust after them.

I don't feel a hankering for Kleins (never have), and have never even mustered a passing fancy in titanium (except, strangely, for the dynatech lugged frames).

I find myself looking dreamily at lavadomes and clockworks. If anyone has a Rocklobster lying around, let me know.

Exceptions I have: Trek OCLVs, GT LTS (not exactly breathtaking), San Andreas' and Amps. All, in there own way, mass-produced, and less than exclusive.

I don't want XTR. XT is good, but DX was always adequate. I simply don't need Kevlar beaded tyres.

Rock Lobster isn't exactly on the same level as Kona or Orange. Seriously nice bikes.

The good stuff is undoubtedly the best stuff but little of it makes me really want it.

I'm weird, I like cheapo :oops:

Currently in my hallway sits a Emmelle Californian rescued from a skip by a fellow MacRetro. I have stripped it, resprayed it and I'm rebuilding it to a slightly higher spec. I may even race it at the Single Speed European Championships in Belgium this spring :shock:

If I like a bikes geometry I can forgive its gas pipe frameset etc

I've always had an old nail of a bike around and I cannot imagine life without one :LOL:

legrandefromage":1izyxn80 said:
''And the medal for 7th place goes to....''

I dont mind the cheap stuff, however, most expensive frames ride better and are almost as widely available and relatively inexpensive.

Componentry is another matter though.

I feel Lgf that's half the problem.

A lot if the expensive stuff isn't ridden but are purely ornaments and of those some of the owners look down on others who find the same pleasure but don't play the keeping up with the jones's game

I do relate to the o.p.s feelings of wanting to love the retro scene more than the need for a elitist label

Back