Who races retro bikes still?

petitpal":1qtceyg3 said:
Again though - if what some ppl on here have said is true and modern XC courses are getting flatter then I can imagine that a fit, skilled rider on an early 90's, fully rigid, canti bike is going to be faster than an out of shape non-rider on a 7K modern thing.

To quantify the difference between retro and modern performance though you have to keep the rider common, and thus fitness and skill can for the large part be removed from the argument ;)

player":3qxhhcsu said:
Inzaman":3qxhhcsu said:
Not racing but I used my Fisher For mayhem and I used it the other week for the BHF Robin Hood charity ride, pics in my Fisher link in my sig.

Also the East Midlands section meet every Tuesday night for a ride round the area and when i go i use the Fisher (it's my only xc bike). There are a few members on here that also ride in the EM area and thy are always on retro :cool:

We were on the same team this year at mayhem but can't remember which rider you were :oops: :LOL:
:LOL: I went 3rd, were you the one that went 1st or the one that had the night shift :LOL:

player":2xm4gnop said:
rumpfy":2xm4gnop said:
All of my vintage bikes get raced.

Respect to you sir for racing the Tomac Raleigh.

Thats got to be worth a few quid :cool:

Ha! Thanks man. At the end of the weekend, the NOS M737 pedals and near new M900 XTR rd were very scratched up. Dented the rim on my spare wheel. T-Disk way out of true. Everything needed adjustment. Plenty of wrecks to make ya cringe!

6af248b8.jpg

d7e59d42.jpg

Inzaman":rjevxlk6 said:
player":rjevxlk6 said:
Inzaman":rjevxlk6 said:
Not racing but I used my Fisher For mayhem and I used it the other week for the BHF Robin Hood charity ride, pics in my Fisher link in my sig.

Also the East Midlands section meet every Tuesday night for a ride round the area and when i go i use the Fisher (it's my only xc bike). There are a few members on here that also ride in the EM area and thy are always on retro :cool:

We were on the same team this year at mayhem but can't remember which rider you were :oops: :LOL:
:LOL: I went 3rd, were you the one that went 1st or the one that had the night shift :LOL:

I was the idiot who ran the first lap :roll: :LOL:

Afterwards I was thinking hell I'm not doing that f@@@@@@ race again, but now I want to do it again :LOL:

Splatter Paint":cvgwm3d3 said:
I regularly race this:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

I've had no bother against modern tackle, although my forks and tyres are modern which means it does handle rather well. I had RC35s, Onza Porcupines, Smoke/Dart combos, cantis - all of which have been binned!

SP

Very nice, I like the idea of a retro ti frame with a modern spec.

The reason I started this thread is I've got the opportunity to buy a xtr built Xizang and I wanted to know if any of you guys and girls regularly raced top end stuff.

I guess I got my answer :LOL:

rumpfy":1onwrz73 said:
Ha! Thanks man. At the end of the weekend, the NOS M737 pedals and near new M900 XTR rd were very scratched up. Dented the rim on my spare wheel. T-Disk way out of true. Everything needed adjustment. Plenty of wrecks to make ya cringe!

Kudos :twisted: :cool:

my retro bike...

I built up my Cindercone (94 i think?) and use it each week and I have entered the Wentwood 50 which is taking place in March next year...I love the bike and sold my Giant front suspension because it did n't come close!!

Back