Which wheels are better?

For me it is either the Mavic Cosmic Pro, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC, the Zipp 60 and the Zipp 404 for riding fast and getting up to speed quickly. I also like the Ksyriums and the Heliums.

Fulcrum are Campagnolo. Great wheels imo though the bearings need a little looking after, if you ride on loose cones damage will be done.
Can't go wrong with Shimano hubs esp at Ultegra level. Mavics I find a bit meh. Personally I would say the Fulcrums sound like the best set, though having not seen them all & aesthetics is part of it.....

Ksyriums are very durable in my experience. Depending on generation a good lightweight option too. Not the most aero though, so if I am riding at pace I much prefer a deeper section wheelset.

Last edited:
The Elites are good wheels, quite durable, but if you are hard on braking or use the wheels in winter/bad weather you'll be through the brake track in two seasons. I've got a pair I use for my fast 'commuter' bike. It only does 80 miles a week though 😂

I think the three sets are around the same quality really and there's not a great deal in it. Ksyrium Elites are the same kind of level as Ultegra and the same kind of wheel - decent quality, sensible weight, shallow rim with no aero benefit. Some prefer Mavic, some Shimano.

The Fulcrums with their mid-section rims are a slightly different sort of wheel (35mm I think) which is quite nice for everyday riding since compared to shallow rims you feel you get a little bit back from them for your efforts when you push them beyond about 17-18mph. Some say the hubs aren't as reliable as Mavic/Shimano and there's a bit of weight penalty. They're not quite as light as some mid-section wheels, which you might notice on the climbs and when accelerating from a standstill. But my guess is you'll probably find your times are a bit faster on the Fulcrums for anything but a really hilly ride.

Are the Fulcrum Quattro's a carbon rim?
I have the Quattro carbon wheels, I find them fantastic in the wind compared with typical low height wheels. Even in cross winds they are affected less than my other wheelsets. Modern aero optimised wheels are damn good ime. The AC3 brake track offers better stopping than alu rims too.

Back