Which wheels are better?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have 3 sets of wheels and a conundrum.

My only built up and barely used road bike is a Cannondale card x black inc. di2 ultegra 10sp. When I got it, I swapped out the original ultegra 67x series wheels for some fulcrum quattros as I liked the look of the deeper section run, plus I didn't see the need for tubeless which they were set up as. I say need, it was new to me, scary modern stuff which I didn't have the time for then.

I've now also got some Mavic ksyrium wheels.

I want to put the better wheel set on the Cannondale, and the next best on a bike I'm building (trek domains 2.3). It's not minty, but the idea of it is to build it up as a half decent bike and do some road miles on it to compare it to the Cannondale. Why? I haven't ridden the Cannondale in a long time and it's a bit of a waste sitting in the garage gathering dust. I'll post another thread on this and why shortly.

If I get back into road, mainly for fitness and slightly easier to fit into my life than off road, it may rekindle me into using the Cannondale, or push me to selling it if not.

So, which is the better set of wheels to go on the better bike? Ksyrium elite, fulcrum quattro or the original ultegra!

I'm happy with tubeless now, so that's not a bother or consideration in the choice, though not sure if the mavics or fulcrums are tubeless.

Thoughts please.

Not sure how high up the rankings the Fulcrums are, as I avoid and know nothing about them, having witnessed a couple of fulcrum failures.

Of the other 2, the ksyriums are far better than the ultegras. Mainly because they are much lighter and weight on wheels is where it matters. Also because I find ksyriums to be be bombproof. I'm still using some I bought in 2006 and they look and feel nowhere near knackered

Shimano make really good wheelsets.

I’ve found road tubeless to be bit and miss and now only use it for lower pressure applications.

Only from my own experience I’d go with the Ksyriums.

The Fulcrums I have on one bike have gone through two sets of bearings in probably less than 2000 miles. They also have to me an odd bearing size I struggled to find for sensible money.

*when I say sensible I don’t mean cheap chinesium!

Shimano do make good wheels, though if they are cup and cone that will depend on servicing. My most recent purchase has new Shimano hubs and after only about 200 miles needed adjustment as were dragging slightly. That said I’ve had others that I’ve never had to give a second thought to.

The Kysriums I’ve had on two bikes I’ve never had to do more than clean them. I did have a set I bought knowing they needed new bearings, they were easy to get for sensible money and relatively easy to change. Again just my personal opinion but they ride better for me than the others.

I’m sure everyone has a different experience of all of them but that’s my experience.

Thanks. Before posting on here I'd done some research which drew similar conclusion that the Ksyriums were the better wheelset, though there were always opinions to the contrary.

I like the look of the deeper section rim on the fulcrums, but the snob in me wants the better wheels on the better bike.

To negate the impression I'm showing off, the di2 bike I own was actually a trade for an MTB I had at the time. Which bike do you think I'd rather have in my possession now, the di2 road bike, or the pace rc200 F3 with full, much nos xc pro groupset, yes the full set, from headset to pedals, even brake and gear cables, campag rims, syncros post and stem, pace bars, flite saddle and nos irc mythos front and rear tyres. If that's showing off, it's showing off a poor decision.

Not that you’ve given it much thought. I sold a bike with full xt m735 with 40 miles on it. I don’t think about that much either.

the only ksyriums i use are the elite set. The cheaper entry level pair i've had problems keeping them true. So i do not use them. I've had luck with the Ultegra level wheels though

Latest posts

Back