which V brakes best for road Tourer?

pondweed

Old School Hero
I've decided to get some Tektro 520 levers for road drop bar use, from peoples thoughts on the other thread.

I was about to try my old '99 XT V brakes but had a look on a few sales sites and note "mini Vbrakes" like the Tekro 926 as well as modern XT (for about 44 quid for a whole set)

what are people using or road bikes and does one need a V brake specific lever for mini V brakes?? Not wishing to throw money away on new levers or brakes unecessarily, but also realise that new stuff has no wear in it.

I'm running 700c x 28 and mudguards; presently with original Shimano 1987 cantis.

mini v brakes are designed to work with "normal" road levers. They don't really offer much in terms of stopping power over a canti

Re:

great. so they are off the list.

which means, of the "grown up" sized ones, is it going to better spending a few more quid and getting the latest XT, or has anyone found that earlier kit is actually better? My early XT is probably the parallelogram stuff, which some seem to say wasnt the best design but I find perfectly ok.

I note quite a few new purchases are made (i.e. positively reviewed...) as the complete new fitting kits of brakes are not much more than sets of fancy pads...

the earliest parallel push designs tend to get rattly, but anything subsequent to that will provide good consistent performance, certainly from Deore upwards. The metal-backed pads tend to perform better.

Re:

The T series are design for it, but basically the same as the M.
Some arms are a bit longer to get over mudguards if that may be a problem for you.
The newer LX and XT are very nice,also easy to use.
No advantage to using older XTR or XT rattle arms.

See what's around in the sales or second hand.

Re:

44 quid posted for entire XT kit from Woolly Hat Shop is pretty tempting... (I notice the single front and rears on places like Evans generally dont come with the noodly bits)

TRP mini Vs, they work fantastically with Ultegra 6700 series, even the bike shop commented on how good they were, I use them on an audax cum tourer with ceramic rim on the front for when it's really wet, not that I have a problem on alloy rims anyway tbh just that I picked up a new dura ace/mavic open ceramic for £40 and it'd have been rude not to.

All round braking is massively in advance of cantilevers and I've had a few BITD and in line with Dura Ace 9000 series, I don't find the progression in any way a problem despite the pads being set close to the rims.
Best buy of 2016 for me.

Back