Which 'V' Brake?

Wu-Tangled":31xp7xi1 said:
Russell,

XTR work extremely well.

But I have to say, Avid Arch Supreme's work better (but clog worse without the extremely rare Mud Arches). They are getting harder to find though.

But Avid Ultimates work better than any of them IMO. Set up nicely they are so sharp. Work well with an XTR lever, but don't look as nice as an Ultimate Black Ops Lever.

And they do a really neat trick and you can reverse the noodle guide so you can run the cable smoothly as if it were feeding from the other way round.

I agree with the above. I have XTR's on my Kona and Ultimates on the Lloyd. The XTR's are good but a little rattly now, the ultimates are more positive and the noodle swap is the reason I bought them due to the cable guides being on the RHS of the top tube.

Awesome if a tad expensive. Not tried Paul's but the set up looks a faff.

Russell,

Arch Rival's are ok, fine in fact, but no match for the Arch Supreme or ,ore over, the Ultimate.

Have to agree with Ed, that Deore ones work quite well and the levers are just lovely (if not pimpy - but good action and cheap).

I have XTR, Arch Supreme and Ultimates on different bikes and the Ultimates are the best IMO. Easy to set up, and adjust and the noodle swap is a brilliant idea and means us Brits don't end up spiralling the front cable back on itself to run through the noodle and therefore makes for a cleaner and more powerful stop.

Not cheap tho, but loads on ebay regularly.

Of the levers and v's, the V's are more important. I've had deore levers on ultimate v's and felt way better than ultimate levers on deore v's if you get my drift.

V Brakes

Try Pauls motolite brakeset . make XTR look pants in performance terms and weight.... not cheap though but quality never is... ;)

Extralite V brakes and Levers............very light, expensive but look oh so good. Pics on my Control Tech Carbon Frame, got them at a fair price from Weight Weenies. Crazy light(Levers 64.3g the pair, V's 198g the set), but even second hand cost me over £170 the set. Would I use them on a proper bike? Nah...Just about to build a 2002 Yeti ASR(keep an eye out for it because its a bit special), gonna be using XTR V's......

Attachments

• P1010076.JPG
    P1010076.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,315
  • P1010077.JPG
    P1010077.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,313
Well, thanks for all your help :)

Decided to start off with Arch Rivals to see how I get on and to stick my finger up at Shimano. If I like the Avids I'll keep an eye out for some supremes or ultimates, and if I don't then I just have to get some XTR I suppose.

I've had Arch supremes on my Ti Fat for 8 years, and they are good stoppers. I think the levers are Speed Dials.

Back