Which Rudge-Whitworth bicycle is this?

Vojtino

Retro Newbie
Hello RetroBIKE forum, could somebody help me identify this bicycle? And approximate price for it? I dont want to sell it, it is beautiful machine, but I am just curious. I have this bike from my grandfather, whom had it from his father. My grandfather get it around 1940 (in Czechoslovakia) I believe.

Only thing I know it has everything original, even tires. It is Rudge-Whitworth Coventry.

Thank you for your help!

Some photos:
EwmcMJA.jpg

f6X3odT.jpg

vDZhJoW.jpg

5nU8Z99.jpg

DhxOg2d.jpg

UATDfue.jpg

JJUWpPA.jpg

PGvVmoS.jpg

If it’s all original, you might find a more accurate date if you look on the Sturmey Archer hub. From around that date they had a simple 2-digit number which was the year it was made eg 45=1945 etc. I think it might be earlier than 1940, however, because that’s a very early shifter. Mid/late 30s and earlier hubs had no date on them.

Re:

Looks early 1930s to me, perhaps 1932 to 35.
The SA should be a K type numbers include date, so K5 = 1935.
Look for Rudge catalogues of the 1930s, you appear to have 26 inch wheels, so most will be 28.

Commercial chrome plate started in the early 30s, and you have black cranks and celluloid covered handlbar with chrome stem.

Keith

Re:

Hi,
Keith is spot on, the serial number looks like it starts with an 'A' which points to early/mid 30's. Looks to be a fairly standard roadster of the period, wonderful condition.

Thanks

Terry

Back