Which exotic bike bits????

Thejackal1971

Dirt Disciple
Good morning all

I have a couple of mid 90's Konas, 1 with full XT & 1 with full XTR.

However, I have managed to get a frame that I always wanted - an Orange Clockwork :)
and now want to build it up with suitable era correct quality parts, from around 1993. Fancy something different to Shimano XT/XTR - any suggestions??

I was fancying a Chris King headset, & some Magura brakes? Don't know if either are correct timewise, but if they are, which model should I look for?? Cook Bros cranks?

Suggestions very, very welcome.

Many thanks, in advance

Thejackal

Maguras HS22 were around 93 i think.
Personally, I like Suntour XC Microdrive stuff, which would be sufficient to that era. I'm a fan of simple builds, Cooks are really nice, not sure they'll go well with british Clockwork plus they're fragile, for me at least.

Morning mate,

I'm building up a 1993 Clockwork, just got it back from the Powdercoaters. I am looking to fit Shimano XT M737 and Canti Brakes as per the year. I am running several other bikes with Maguras (My Proflex 856 and Kona Cindercone) and i have run with others, personally i would stick with some nice Cantis on a Clockwork, although there are a few on the forum with Maggies fitted.

On the Exotic front, maybe a nice Middleburn Crankset, Pace Forks, Hope Hubs, keeps the British theme running throughout the bike :)

Post some pics :D

I had maggies on my Orange Prestige HS11's, fantastic brakes only decent discs can beat em. Think there might be a set up for sale on here ;)

poweredbypies":13pnf4or said:
I had maggies on my Orange Prestige HS11's, fantastic brakes only decent discs can beat em. Think there might be a set up for sale on here ;)

Slick my friend very slick, you know i would have had them if i had shelf space alongside my already overgrown magura plantation ;) lol

Jussa":1a5yovb5 said:
On the Exotic front, maybe a nice Middleburn Crankset, Pace Forks, Hope Hubs, keeps the British theme running throughout the bike :)

Post some pics :D

Agree.

Radoslaw":jwi0mh9n said:
Personally, I like Suntour XC Microdrive stuff, which would be sufficient to that era.
Another vote for Suntour stuff.

Am ambivalent to Maguras, really, don't mind them, don't hate them, but equally, don't rave over them.

Boutique stuff just seems too garish and "look at me".

I love seeing builds with a full, decent Suntour group on from early-to-mid 90s.

93 was right when i got into mtb and downhilling. Another option for brakes would be these critical racing canti's. I had a front and rear pair come stock on my 1994 parkpre pro 825. paired with a "servowave" shimano brake lever (pretty much anything before the v-brake specific levers came out) off awesome stopping power.

I remember going to an Azonic brake level and my modulation and braking power went down dramatically due to not having the leverage of the shimano servo wave levers.

o1oo_crit_high_pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back