Which Cassette removal tool - HELP NEEDED

deandent1

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I'm currently stripping down an early 90's raleigh mercury to clean up and put back together as a winter roadie (or a just when i feel like it bike)

I've got it pretty much stripped down (hoping to do this as a project thread in readers bikes section.

So my question - i'm getting a little confused with the whole cassette freewheel / freehub thing and trying to find any info on this particular model has been next to impossible. Basically i'm looking to remove the cassette (excuse if that's the wrong term) and give it and the wheel a good clean as it's all gunked up. I need to know which tool i need to remove this cassette. I'm pretty sure under all the gunk there'll be a nice shiny part but it's getting it off. From what i can see it looks like it has two indents which look like a suntour removal tool but this is me just guessing so please tell me i'm wrong. hopefully my photos will work . . . (and on that note sorry about the low light phone photos)

Sorry if this is a basic question

You need a two pronged removal tool of the correct size, the name on the freewheel should help.................but your LBS ahould be able to whip it off in a couple of minutes for less than the cost of buying the tool. :)

Shaun

From the look of the picture, the 16t is nearly worn away. As the chain wears it gets longer, the rivets and bushes wear (not stretch) and the chain runs higher up the cog, increasing the wear and running gradually rougher. A new chain would probably slip on most of those cogs.In the 1950/60s I used to do a 5 sp freewheel and chain fitted for £1.55, and never took longer than 10 minutes, and buy them 50 - 100 at a time.

So for my own benefit, is this likely to have the freewheel mechanism within what I would call the cassette or will the freewheel be on the hub of the bike. I realise this might be unanswerable without more detail but if anyone knows I'd appreciate the info just so I understand better. It's an early 90's shimano SIS 12 speed raleigh

What you have looks like a freewheel which is removed in one piece, leaving just the hub thread.
Or if you are scrapping it you can take it apart and unscrew the the centre part with any suitable implement. The end bearing plate under the small cog is a left hand thread, and it will have 2 rows of 1/8 inch balls.
Keith

Latest posts

Back