Where should more modern Road (98+) build threads go?

Where to stick the modern old stuff

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My current ride that’s coming from Saudi having just moved back to the UK

Attachments

• 2E7FD3D6-0D51-4EDA-93B4-7580BD31F718.jpeg
    2E7FD3D6-0D51-4EDA-93B4-7580BD31F718.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 10
I had a Capri 2.8injection & great car & used quite a lot in driving up & down from Aberdeen to Stroud etc… very reliable cologne engine 👍

Well, sitting back and reading through all of this shows that there isn't really a consensus amongst us all on where modern should be and also what is the cutoff going to be date wise.
I think it is most likely a personal thing depending on age, personal experience, technology cutoffs, though as mentioned before, some say STI, some say downtube shifters, maybe some might say the cutoff should be when the hobby horse was fazed out.
My opinion at the moment would be, if we were going to do it, to have one general modern section included within the Road section but this one section would be for showing off modern bikes, equipment discussion etc but to start with, no sales etc. Say anything since 2000 goes in there, otherwise we run the risk of the modern detracting from the main point of RETRObike. I think it should be a very minor side section. saying that, I am sure we all ride a modern bike now and again so good to share, but I think there are already lots of other forums specific for modern bikes.
Maybe run that up the pole and see how it develops over the spring depending on the outcome of the discussions and poll.

Jamie

Introducing another road section would open a whole can of worms around what the cut off date should be and why. Road is Road..... unless it's a gravel build, where should gravel builds reside? Are they on road or off road? They are designed to do both right?

Ah gravel bikes. Most roads have been gravel roads anyway until quite recently, in the grand scheme o things, and for sure anywhere outside a city. For that matter, the course of the Paris Roubaix is probably way more "gravelly" than most people will ever encouter on their purpose built gravel thing.

So in this sense, gravel bikes ride on roads, just a different road surface, and so are road bikes, and lots of road bikes historically could do that because that's the surface that roads had. This would suggest that retro gravely bikes shouldn't be treated too differently. Although, most people ride their mountain bikes on the dirt roads so that would make them road bikes too :)

Ah gravel bikes. Most roads have been gravel roads anyway until quite recently, in the grand scheme o things, and for sure anywhere outside a city. For that matter, the course of the Paris Roubaix is probably way more "gravelly" than most people will ever encouter on their purpose built gravel thing.

So in this sense, gravel bikes ride on roads, just a different road surface, and so are road bikes, and lots of road bikes historically could do that because that's the surface that roads had. This would suggest that retro gravely bikes shouldn't be treated too differently. Although, most people ride their mountain bikes on the dirt roads so that would make them road bikes too :)
I watched this you tube clip the other day, a cycle touring competition back in the early 60's

They are clearly road bikes being used but they were used on and off road.

That's what we used to call 'rough stuff' back in the day. Though I was a roadman/tester I used to ride touring competitions from time to time, usually as a favour to local DA organisers to make up numbers. I rode one in the Yarm area where I was asked to ride one of the course loops a second time because I was so far ahead of both the ETAs and other riders that the marshals hadn't setup for the next part of the route.

I think we see again and again that the technical capabilities of a bike and the skills of a rider transcends categories like road, mountain, or gravel.

Back