when and how did your retro obsession start

Re:

After playing Rugby League came to an end through too many broken arms, I then took up running to keep fit, talked to some friends at work who were doing triahlons, so bought my first bike, a Raleigh Prorace which lasted about 18 months until the frame cracked, then through a friend managed to own a ex-Castorama 753 Frame which went through various stages of build, Shimano 105 (biopace chainrings(still got them)) to Dura-ace 8 speed STI with Pete Matthews Pianni Carbon Rims thus ended my Triathlon career over the bonnet of a car during a race (Ampleforth, Yorkshire) breaking more bones than I care to remember!
After a sabatical I always lusted after a Kestrel KM40 Airfoil which I could never afford when doing triathlons, so a 2003 frame (silver/ black fade) was purchased from eBay USA, then again built up in various Dura Ace guises currently 7800. Then an impluse eBay £50 Cannondale frame 1998 now built with Ultegra.
Forward to last year with me now being closer to 60 than 50 another work collegue has started triathlons, I got all nostalgic and thought about resurecting the Kestrel Zipp 400/404 wheels were bought and then she who must be obeyed said NO YOU ARE NOT DOING TRIATHLONS, last time you did a Triathlon you ended up in hospital!!!
I then found retro sportives and a plan came together to do L'ancienne in Ulverston. Again eBay was scoured and a Vitus 979 frame was found along with a full Dura Ace 7200 groupset, wheels have been built with Wolber 20 profile rims & Wolber 290 classic tubs, Turbo saddle, 3TTT Grimondi bars, Dura Ace Stem and a spare pair of Mavic GP4 wheels.
I am currently getting use to the lack of gears and using down tube shifters again.

Re:

Retro Sportives?? Now i LOVE the sound of THAT!! Are there more out there than just the L'Eroica Britannia that I'm unaware of?

I was laughed at a while back by two racehorses going up the local climb for having downtube shifters on my bike - it's amazing what RAGE can do for your performance!!

:twisted:

I have been riding retro bikes for the major part of my life, however back in 1976 when I got my first Carlton, they were then cutting edge. Forty years later still riding Carlton... I have no idea at what point they became 'retro', probably in the 2000s. I ride MTBs as well but others, but nothing will replace the joy of riding a British steel bicycle...

I utterly detest modern carbon machines, outlandish bike technology and everything pretentious and 'fan boy' like and their ilk.

To me they are not retro............ I haven't aged and neither have the bikes since the 70's :D

Shaun

Spokesmann":2swm8he8 said:
I utterly detest modern carbon machines, outlandish bike technology and everything pretentious and 'fan boy' like and their ilk.

Why is that? I enjoy my steel ride but do most of my riding on a carbon bike and all my racing on carbon.

Nothing outlandish or pretentious about a good modern bike.

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":2c0i2zna said:
Disc brakes on a road bike? 11 speed? Spending £2000+??

They're outlandish to me too!!

:facepalm:

Don't need to spend anything like £2k to get a good modern bike.

11 speed and compact chainset have made things a lot easier for many

Not everyone can turn 52.11 uphill anymore!

Montello":1bwpacwc said:
Spokesmann":1bwpacwc said:

Why is that? I enjoy my steel ride but do most of my riding on a carbon bike and all my racing on carbon.

Nothing outlandish or pretentious about a good modern bike.

Simple concept - I do not like them. End of. Move on.

Back