Wheel & Tyre combo

BigFoz

Retro Guru
Being mainly a roadie, my MTB build is progressing slowly as I eBay parts and fit them. I'm building the bike for:
A: Fun
B: To race the "Durty Triathlon" next year

Question - Assuming the race (In Scotland) will likely have some mud, even in Jul, what recommendations for Wheels and Tyres. Am wanting light but reasonably sturdy - was thinking 32spoke, folding tyres, 1.95 on front, 2.1/2.2 on back. The bike is rim braked...

Any recommendations?

Bontrager Mud X seem good. I run a 2.1" up front, 1.8 on the rear and apart from thick clay they're pretty good tyres.

cheers

Jon

For wheels 32 Sapim Race spokes on XT hubs laced to Mavic XM317 or if you want lighter (assuming XC riding) XC717 rims work well.

An alternative to the XC717 is the Rigida Edge, cheaper too. I am using these on one of my bikes and they built into good straight wheels that stayed straight and round after a battering in Thetford forest.

I do build these type of wheels and happen have all the parts you need in stock.

As for tyres I have been riding Continental Verticals for years but there are other good tyres in the conti range like the X-king, rubber queen e.t.c depending on the terrian you will be riding. Other swear by Schwable Racing Ralphs or Nobby Nics.

Back