Wheel building costs .... What do you expect to pay?

I tend to do a flat price whatever the spoke count, I believe this is normal practice but I might be wrong as I dont shop anywhere else!

My LBS charges ~£60 a pair built up with Sapim DB spokes if I supply hubs and rims.

Why not learn to do them yourself?

I'm not saying this to be snide. It's a really good skill to have, and not nearly so hard as people think it would be. Especially if you start with new parts.

Spokes can be up to £15 per wheel, depending on what you want. Just take your time, and be methodical. :cool:

futuristicoldman said:
It's a very useful skill indeed and very rewarding.[/quote]

It is! Specially as hardly any bike shops near mine are building high-end wheels any more!

i normally charge £30 a wheel plus spokes the lbs i build for freelance is £35 labour plus spokes but of course i do only charge £15 a wheel to retrobikers ;) i was supposed to build marks wheels next week but my new job that i start Monday is sending me straight out to Indonesia on Monday for 1 poss 2 months :shock: im not crying to much though as i need the money and by gum are they paying me well for it :D and :oops: for Mark

My decent local charge £30 per wheel all in - build spokes nipples and all the free ribbing about getting a modern bike i can handle :D

cannondale king":2bu7m3rx said:
:shock: im not crying to much though as i need the money and by gum are they paying me well for it :D and :oops: for Mark

tut tut, stop being selfish - think of poor mark n his unbuilt wheels! :shock:

most wheelbuilds cost me a couple of tea bags and some jaffa cakes.

Tricky ones may need an extra cup of tea

Back