Wheel Building advice HELP!

Albut":2oh017uh said:
cannondale king":2oh017uh said:
and buy your bearings from your local bearing supplier

are you talking about cartridge bearings? I'm confused. and stupid

Albut,

Take the old bearings out, get along to Grace Road Central on Marsh Barton, about half way down on the left (just past Speedy Hire) is a large bearing supplier. I think they should be able to sort you with bearings, and loads cheaper than you'll pay on the high street.

Cheers

Paddy

A quick google and ebay check and you should get the bearings for around 90p+60p postage. You would need to double check the bearing for the part number i.e it is possibly something like 6001 2RS. Ebay that number and voila bearings aplenty or you can splash out on phil wood bearings which use a superior grease for a (big) bit more. Alternatively remove the bearing and size it, width, outer diameter and inner diameter.

yo sastusbulbas i got the tools :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: but i do alot of wheel work matey :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: yeah the bearings in the hubs are all standard sizes buddy go to the nearest good bearing supplier hi grade skf bearings are like £1.75 each for hub sizes and if you take the hub bodys with you the guys in the shop you buy them from can usally fit them for you for a couple of squid as there gonna have the tools as its the line of work ;) :cool:

speaking of which ive just finished re building my rear wheel so now im back baby....and i got game ....ie taking it very easy for a while so wheel can bed in......ps will be practising me drop offs near a coffee shop on the seafront this weekend .....barring weather conditions .

you fancy fritton on sunday tony jango's coming down and so's mark and hopfully mate so we will be taking it very easy as my neck hurts just had a sist removed ouchy :D :D

if its dry tommorow im out putting wheel thru its paces ...it built well with good spoke tension...should be nice and strong.theres some ramps im gonna test em on as soon as i can........will let you know as soon as i do.on the lookout for a decent full susser by the way.possibility of me getting my sannie back(wifes idea....still in shock)for me burfday soon.......thatyll be fun.

The bearings are 6001 (denotes size) 2RS (two rubber sealing sheilds) C3 (the tolerance of play in the bearing). SKF or FAG items are a few quid each from a good supplier.

PXCART.jpg

cannondale king":dhbh00ai said:
yo sastusbulbas i got the tools :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: but i do alot of wheel work matey :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: yeah the bearings in the hubs are all standard sizes buddy go to the nearest good bearing supplier hi grade skf bearings are like £1.75 each for hub sizes and if you take the hub bodys with you the guys in the shop you buy them from can usally fit them for you for a couple of squid as there gonna have the tools as its the line of work ;) :cool:

LOL :D ,

Yes, I'm in the lots of tools situation myself, most of them sitting in unmarked tool boxes. Jig's at home and work, but nowadays not as much building as there once was, more dishing and truing and cup and cone and tea adjustments these days. Last bearings I replaced were on a rear Hugi 240, got the bearings down on Granton Road, but had to borrow the appropriate tool from the importer due to us not having one and them having none to sell.

Truing wheels.. I got calluses on me fingers cause o so much truing and dishing :(

That said, I don't usually have to bother with a Jig, just lace up with even nipple adjustment, few turns with the old pro spokey and into the frame for tension and dishing suffices my humble needs...LOL

Which reminds me, I remember selling a pair of Crossmax to a friend of a friend, and arranging to meet up the following week for a ride in Glentress (before it was domesticated), on arrival this friends associate complained the back wheel I sold was way out of dish, didn't seem to convinced when I pointed out that it was his Pace frame which was designed that way. Those two used my spare tubes as well, sigh..never did get anything back for that help.

Steve

Latest posts

Back