Wheel Building advice HELP!

Albut

Dirt Disciple
Right, I have some rather sorry old wheels from my Orange Elite. They have hope hubs (as seen on alot of oranges from early 90s) and i love them (see pics)

I just got a qoute from the LBS to rebuild. £270!! :cry:
Reconditioned hubs, new cartridge bearings, new mavic xc717 rims, new spokes (not sure what but decent I'm assuming). Sounds expensive to me.

I'm still running 7 speed and don't want to force a 135mm hub in the frame which is aluminium. At this price I'm even considering building them myself - which I have never done.

Anyone got some advice on where I can get them done cheaper and how much I should expect to pay? or wanna give me a much better offer? ;)

(I live in Exeter, but regularly in Bristol)

Thanks!

[/img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/eastonthirteen/DSC00492.jpg
[/img]

DSC00493.jpg

The Bike Shed. I originally took it to Richard's Bikes. He told me to scrap em and buy some new shimanos for circa 150

Albut":2aeu9kn2 said:
I just got a qoute from the LBS to rebuild. £270!!

Bloody hell! How much?????

You should be looking at £60 tops for rims
About £20-30 for Spokes and around £40 for two builds

That makes new bearings and a service on two Hope hubs £150! :shock:

You could probably buy two new hubs off the bay for not much more than that.

I'd go somewhere else!

Sounds super expensive, also drop Cannondale king a pm as he builds wheels too. As for building yourself only you can answer that, how ham fisted are you? what are your mechanical abilities? I recently built a pair myself for the first time and if your interested can tell you about it, but won't bore everyone else because I may have mentioned it before in the past :roll:

£270 you could get 2 sets of mavic 717 disc on 2008 xt hubs with dt revelotion spokes, handbuild at Merlincycles for that. Stay well clear of that bike shop IMO.

That surprises me about the Bike Shed, had some very good deals from them so far this year.. agree that's waaaay too pricy though.

Could be one of those "we can't be f***ed " quotes.

I think messiah mentioned recently about senidn hubs back to hope to be reconditioned. As they also do complete wheels now maybe they would rebuild onto rims as well.

Back