What's your Holy Grail among British frame builders?

Why did the UK have so many independent frame builders? And were they all made by the names on the frame? Whose frames were the most prized?
There was just a HUGE frame building industry in London and all round the UK. Generally, yes, they were built by the names on the frame. After WW2 there was big demand for bikes because most people couldn’t afford cars yet. People used them for their transport and bike racing was popular. Men returned from the war with engineering skills and were able to turn their hands to building bike frames from the new grades of steel like Reynolds 531. South London had a frame builder on pretty much every street corner at one point!

There was just a HUGE frame building industry in London and all round the UK. Generally, yes, they were built by the names on the frame. After WW2 there was big demand for bikes because most people couldn’t afford cars yet. People used them for their transport and bike racing was popular. Men returned from the war with engineering skills and were able to turn their hands to building bike frames from the new grades of steel like Reynolds 531. South London had a frame builder on pretty much every street corner at one point!
Wow! That's amazing! Thanks for that. 🙂

I live in Putney and have done for over 30 years.

Unfortunately I didn't cycle for much of that time, but back in 1983 when I lived in Acton I bought a new Holdsworth Avanti (1982 model so 531) without knowing anything about 'real' bicyles. A 'friend' broke it 10 years later :( and it was my last bike for many years.

Fast forward 40 years and I'm back into cycling and supporting my local builder - Holdsworth.
Unfortunately the Putney shop shut in 2013 https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk...cle-business-shop-closes-down-after-87-years/. A real shame as I was already retired and if I'd got back into cycling then I could have spent 5 years mooching around the Holdsworth shop and maybe buying something new.

So I've now got 2 decent Holdsworths and if you're in Richond Park on a Sunday afternoon I'm on the red 1961 Cyclone :)

But it does suggest I need another Holdsworth and I'm not sure what is better than a 1961 Cyclone, except a Whirlwind obviously but they're as common as rocking horse turds, or maybe a Cyclone de luxe.

Last edited:
I live in Putney and have done for over 30 years.

Unfortunately I didn't cycle for much of that time, but back in 1983 when I lived in Acton I bought a new Holdsworth Avanti (1982 model so 531) without knowing anything about 'real' bicyles. A 'friend' broke it 10 years later :( and it was my last bike for many years.

Fast forward 40 years and I'm back into cycling and supporting my local builder - Holdsworth.
Unfortunately the Putney shop shut in 2013 https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk...cle-business-shop-closes-down-after-87-years/. A real shame as I was already retired and if I'd got back into cycling then I could have spent 5 years mooching around the Holdsworth shop and maybe buying something new.

So I've now got 2 decent Holdsworths and if you're in Richond Park on a Sunday afternoon I'm on the red 1961 Cyclone :)

But it does suggest I need another Holdsworth and I'm not sure what is better than a 1961 Cyclone, except a Whirlwind obviously but they're as common as rocking horse turds, or maybe a Cyclone de luxe.
I was probably the last customer in that shop went to the closing down sale and bought loads of stuff, out the back was all the old boxes and pigeon holes they kept spare parts in. I made a deal with Sam and a week or so later I stopped by with the works van and filled it.

But Frame builder now theres a choice, but I'll throw my choice into the ring Ron Cooper who was Philbrooks apprentice and I have had a frame made by each of them unfortunately the Philbrook was to big it needed to be a 52 but it was a 54 still rode great but uncomfortable on long rides. The Ron Cooper is perfect for me one, (probably one of his last frames) but you could tell there was a similarity between the 2...

Do ex-pats count? I have a few Tony Hoar's, including two of his personal race bikes, including this 653 example which is in the restoration phase. I also have a Derek Bailey RM Giro from 1986.

Attachments

• hoar1.jpg
    hoar1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 7
  • hoar2.jpg
    hoar2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 7
Back in 2008 I decided that I wanted an expedition bike and as the only frame builder I knew of thanks to reading several Josie Dew books was Roberts that was who I went to. To be honest I did not know enough to order a bespoke bike and some things such as wanting front suspension and a very upright riding position were unusual but they got my Roughstuff spot on and sixteen years and several thousand miles later I am still very happy with it.

Common factors are:

The top quality frame
Either very fancy or very clean
from a local builder
from the years of your youth

When I was cycling around the Highlands in the late C20th, I would finish my day with a whisky from the nearest distillery.

I remember in one remote hotel, dark, victorian gothic, heavy smoke infused panelling, the landlord went out the back and dug out a dusty half- empty bottle for me, from a distillery that had closed a generation earlier.
Its ruins were along my route.

It evoked memories for all present.

I think only a bicycle does these things.

At the time I was riding a carlton corsair, not even 531.

My favourite was
A Patric Skeates track bike, it was just so clean and decisive.

But I'm with hetchins,
so many beautiful (esp curly) examples out there, the elegant shape and often startlingly fancy lugs save them from heathen neglect.
They draw in the non-cyclist like nothing else.

I think only a bicycle does these things.

At the time I was riding a carlton corsair, not even 531.
Just to comment, my Carlton Corsair, 1981, has 531 main frame tubes and "gaspipe" stays/forks with chromed fork ends. As far as I am aware all Corsairs of that era were of similar spec.
IMG_20220822_130751.jpg
I'm still riding mine as bought by me in 1981 though it will hopefully be supplanted by my Wester Ross in the near future..... and yes, a dram at the end of the day is vital!

Back