what year is this race face xy seatpost (roughly)

I picked up a NOS a month or two ago (old style logo) for $25 CDN. I use it as a spare with a classic Flite ti gel flow on my Cirrus when commuting on road. I throw on my original Sycnros Pro post with the clasic ti saddle when i go offroading.

I like the new saddle and XY post combo so far. Not much different than the original, except the slight backward offset of the XY post. The look of the XY is unique to say the least.

scant":3my7glqe said:
Wu-Tangled":3my7glqe said:
good, strong and quite a lot more flexy than a thomson post.
:D

thats funny you say that, the main reason they stopped making the XY was the top clamp section on occasion used to split the top of the shaft & rip out.

You see, now you've frightened me. I use one of these on my Singlespeed and I'm always bouncing about on the saddle. I'm going to have to get a different post now!

Anyone want to buy a potentially harmful XY post in silver?

:)

Under no circumstances get the seatpost they brought out to replace it unless you want a bit of alu stuck up yer bum.
Its the one with a sliding collar to alter saddle angle.

The top isn't bonded on properly and works loose which causes it to ride up the post and eventually come right off

This isn't hearsay, had one replaced under warranty and seen several similar pics of the same thing and numerous accounts too.

What could be the case with the XY post is that the were the to my knowledge 1st seatpost and, for a while, only one with serious setback. Can imagine that a lot came on DH-rigs ...but it wasn't designed for DH use. So a relative high number snapped. Hence not necessarely a bad post.

Elev12k":1pamic76 said:
What could be the case with the XY post is that the were the to my knowledge 1st seatpost and, for a while, only one with serious setback. Can imagine that a lot came on DH-rigs ...but it wasn't designed for DH use. So a relative high number snapped. Hence not necessarely a bad post.

thats partly it, its mainly the lack of overlap between the shaft & upper assembly insert combined with a big layback, equals lot of leverage. DH bike saddle dont get sat on very much while actually riding.. more for looking cool at the bottom of the chairlift :cool: :LOL:

But there were two versions of it. One with the setback XY1 and one without setback XY0. I wouldn't think they were equally prone to fatigue/stress failure, would they?

RockiMtn":lefwmhqg said:
But there were two versions of it. One with the setback XY1 and one without setback XY0. I wouldn't think they were equally prone to fatigue/stress failure, would they?

nope, the inline didnt have the same problem, nowhere near the leverage on the clamp

i was going to buy one but might have to think again!!!

although it it going on a garage queen so maybe okay!!!!

I had the XY for over 8 years now it's been on 6 different frames shimed and unshimed hardtail and fullsus it's still prefect :LOL:

Same with me.

Have two in the odd 28.6 size to fit the Miyatas. Though I am a skinny guy, let there be no doubt they did see very serious use over the years.

Maybe I were just lucky ;)

Feel perfectly safe.

Latest posts

Back