what year is this bear valley.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i recently bought this marin bear valley, i want to retore it, but before i start i need to know exactly what year it is from, the seller listed it as a 1990 bear valley, my main question is the position of the rear brake, it is positioned below the chain stays, instead of the normal seat stays position.
i have looked at 1989 examples of the bear valley and the rear brakes all seem to be in the seat stay position, so what year is it from ?
it has mountain lx gears, thumbshifters seem knackered.
i will also need help locating a new set of decals when i've resprayed it.
any help would be appreciated, specially a set of thumbies for this bike.

Attachments

• IMG_4538.JPG
    IMG_4538.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 775
If it's a UK model, then it's pre-zolatone and possibly 88/89 like he says^^ :D

U'brake tends to point towards this age as well..

That is an '88 frame with an '89 paint job.

It is the same thing with my Marin Eldridge Grade. I got an '91 design and a frame that was produced in 1990 by its frame number but it appears in the 1991 catalogue.

juice":c4mezz79 said:
That is an '88 frame with an '89 paint job.

It is the same thing with my Marin Eldridge Grade. I got an '91 design and a frame that was produced in 1990 by its frame number but it appears in the 1991 catalogue.

Give this man a prize! That makes perfect sense as my mate was supposed to get a Bear Valley for his Christmas present back in 88 but was delayed till January. He was well gutted cos he was told it was the new model but then he got the exact same bike as yours with the U brake but later decals. I remember it well cos I went down to the shop when he complained about getting last year's model and they gave him £25 to spend in the shop - and he bought me a neon pink Mt Zefal pump which I'd wanted for ages :shock:

muppetman":1ztbxvs6 said:
Give this man a prize!...

You could let me use that pink Mt Zefal pump for that extra bit of retro air when i visit the UK for my first Mountain Mayhem. :D

Back