what was your first 'proper' mountain bike!?

a raleigh peak...nice bike but nearly broke my neck when it landed on me...heavy and hard as nails frame..

1991 Trek 850, in red with black and white over spatter paintwork, Suntour XCE groupset, I was saving up for a deposit on a house at the time so didn't go OTT.
I still have it tuck up in the garage more or less as it was then, with a couple of changes/upgrades :D.
I was really taken by the Cannondales that were in the shop, with their huge 'drainpipe' looking down tubes.

Alpinestars cro-mega DX in flouro yellow/white.

al.

A Saracen Tufftrax Comp bought new from Edin Bicycle Co-op in '89/90,
like this one, hope sheffield doesn't object to me nicking his pic.

P6032563.jpg

My daughter now has it, the only original part is the frame. Thing is I still have all the original components that I've changed over the years. Except the saddle, traded saddles with my then girlfriend as she found the Saracen saddle more comfortable than the one on her Cindercone.

Cannondale SM600 was my first, bought on the 26th November 1986. Took me almost two years to save up for it after seeing a Saracen advert in BMX Action magazine. Spent those two years ragging various homemade 'ATB's around the local woods.
The Cannondale was stolen in the mid 90's but a perfect replica hangs in my garage and was the first build I did when I joined RB.

A Specialized HardRock Sport '90/91 in a kind of champagne colour. Can't for the life of me remember much more about it. I'll have a look at the old catalogue scans and see if I can find a pic...

1992 Diamond Back Response in hot yellow with 'carbon look' Vetta computer.

Attachments

• response01.jpg
    response01.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,438
Back