what was your first 'proper' mountain bike!?

I had an Offroad Mt.10+2 as my first ride.

God I wish I still had it. Must have been mid to late eighties, and I would have been about 9.

I always considered my first proper MTB to be the Timberline FS in my sig... But before I had that I rode a Falcon Arctic Fox.

It was a cheap bike but it had a full Altus groupset which pitched it above some of the stuff my mates owned.. I took it round Rivington quite a few times and upgraded parts including the tyres and handlebar.

The Saracen I've been riding the last few weeks is older than the Falcon I made my first ventures in to mountain biking on. Heh.

1986 Ridgeback S... and I'm still looking for a pic of one if anyone comes across one. Black frame, black bullmoose bar/stem, fluted seatpost, grey mushroom grips... it's all there in my head, I'd just like to see it :)

main.php

A 91 DB Apex, new in 91. Cost ~ £560.

1991 ish carrera krakatoa. Got ot for christmas and by the new year it had a stronglight chainset, lx rear mech and a fancy pants saddle

Attachments

• picture_047_149.jpg
    picture_047_149.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,245
I first had a very old Hawk Trakattak, cost £99 at the time around 89', 90'? It was awfull, but it got me offroad. Had a fair few miles out of it in my mid teens, had 18 gears with plastic, very flexy brake levers, but I had sooo much fun on it! It managed a few rounds on cannock chase then gave up breaking the rear axle. I rode it with a snapped axle for about 5 miles with the tyre rubbing, fixed it then bought others that would cope with proper offroad (Muddyfox Alu Comp) still have both.

Back