What tubing on Harry Quinn Q4786

robv

Dirt Disciple
I found this Harry Quinn on ebay a while ago. The bearings were totally worn and it had different replacement parts so I decided to strip it.

Serial is Q4786 so I suspect it's a proper Harry Quinn. Apart from the Walton Road decal (on head and seat tube) there are no other decals. Does anyone have an idea of what tubing was used on this one? Frame excluding fork weighs just 2,3 kilo. I took it to Dutch frame builder Marten Gerritsen of M-Gineering to drill out the stuck seatpost. He thinks the frame is most likely Reynolds 531.

The bike had Suntour Blue Line gearing (probably original), which appeared in 1980, so I date it back to that time. Could that be right?

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• SAM_1084.jpg
    SAM_1084.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 772
  • SAM_1083.jpg
    SAM_1083.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 772
  • SAM_1080.jpg
    SAM_1080.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 772
  • SAM_1079.jpg
    SAM_1079.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 772
Nice looking quinn :) as Ian says the cable guides are on the top of the bb abd if the brakes are nutted then it's late 70's possibly 1980 but by then the brakes started to have allen key bolts......... pound to a penny it's 531 :)

Do the rear dropouts have any holes for a Portacatena?

Shaun

Re:

98% chance of being 531

Too early to be a different Reynolds tubeset and too high quality for it to be anything less.

Harry Quin rides again! I used an eighties Koga Miyata as a donor, so it has Shimano 600 Biopace now. Will have to replace the worn out rims and saddle.

Attachments

• hq.jpg
    hq.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 688
Nice!
Lovely to see another quality machine back riding the roads as intended.
Whats your thoughts on the ride so far?

Jamie

The bike is light and fast. Partly due to the Shimano 600 and the Schwalbe tyres of course. The frame suits me nicely and and I love the red finish. It reminds me of a bike I had in the eighties. So riding it takes at least 25 years of my real age :LOL:

Back