What the heck have I just impulse bought? (Gios content)

JonR

Retro Guru
It's my size and it rides nicely but it's in a bit of a state. Anyone have any clue what model and or era this is? On a side note, I really must stop doing this. :LOL:

Re: gorgeous Gios

Obv others will expand,I've an old lateish 70's Gios,yours has Allen key brakes so 80's/90's,prob the latter when they started offering off menu colours,ithink the metallic purples lovely

stefthehat":10fkpq00 said:
Obv others will expand,I've an old lateish 70's Gios,yours has Allen key brakes so 80's/90's,prob the latter when they started offering off menu colours,ithink the metallic purples lovely

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure if anything on this bike is original so I dunno if the brakes (old suntour) are anything to go by. I also wonder if the paint is original as it seems a little thick over the stamps on the tops of the seatstays.

I thought it has a feel of mid 80s about it, the 6 speed cassette also points that way. Ingenious use of old mountain bike thumbies on the bars as well.

I may start looking through old photos of Gios bikes to see if I can see what matches up.

Anything japanese doesn't seem original for the time but the slightly 'stepped' top of the seatstay is a bit of a Gios trademark going back to the old frames,it might of been resprayed but the Columbus sticker and Gios one on the headtube would be a bit of hassle if it was cheaply re done,also rear wheel spacing would age it {126 or 130},the parts are pretty crap, you could pick up a lovely new lower end Campag groupset that would fit it visually without spending loads{thinking Zenon or somesuch}

Re:

I'm very much making the assumption it's 126 with the 6 speed rear. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. I'm thinking of stripping the paint, polishing the chrome and spraying it classic blue with some new reproduced decals.
I'm not sure about parts yet, I assume the rear spacing is likely to hamper putting some new kit on it.

Back