What state is retro biking in at the moment?

legrandefromage":3aw6dj8h said:
Museum piece is a bit of a derogatory term. Just about any bicycle from the last 7 decades can be rebuilt and made 'comfortable' and safe for riding

I think so too, LGF. It's all about the maintenance. But some folk have no conception or interest in the fact that riding bikes "in the wilderness" didn't begin in the 1970's- it was more like the 1870's. And in the Yukon goldrush, for instance, some of those prospectors undertook huge journeys on bikes, and not for sport either.
I was riding an early Falcon Black Diamond when I began my cross-country excursions, the 26" wheel off-road bike didn't exist- well, it may well have existed somewhere, not in my village though.
Much later, in '87 or thereabouts, a pal bought a Ridgeback mtb, and offered me a go on it. Very taken, I was, and I bought a Raleigh Mirage shortly after. Still in regular use, 10k plus miles later, btw.
Retrobiking is a very similar thing to vintage motorbiking, or even motoring. Biggest differences are that bikes don't actually have to mix it with modern motor traffic, or be compromised by environmental issues (the emissions from my old two-strokes were, um, a bit high..), and all the tedious red-tape stuff.
Yes, I know some new bikes are very good. I've even tried a few. and I can afford them as well.
But I just have a liking for this retro era, probably because the bikes aren't too far away from that old Black Diamond. Better brakes. Fatter tytes. And usually made of the proper stuff (steel) as well.

Re:

Brocklanders asks:

What state is retro biking in at the moment?

Well, 35 pages on , it's got a burning ember with folks building and even riding
But, the good old days of national series and multiple regional rides are over, pretty much.
Even where rides are arranged, it's a largely modern turnout and limited reports
On the day's events. Facebook is king.

I suppose the x, y and z of why we dont/can't ride a retrobike rides will be
thrashed out to death. It doesn't matter any more. Let's move on!

Travel, expense, lacking of whatever seems to be the drawback for people interested
In riding. Lack thereof is why rides are less arranged, self perpetuating.

Moving on, I can recommend enjoying your own area and available terrain, points of interest. Then report back in a traveller's blog stylee. No politics, policies to adhere to. Just ride.
You never know, someone may join you and vouyers to the site may acknowledge and join in. If familiar and wanting to ride but not brave enough to line wolf it.

Search your own souls and get your arses out. :)

Re:

LMS - the long view is important.

I look at my 1995 Oranges - they are steel. They were fast, they were highly competent.
I look at my 1990 Bontrager Race OR. It's steel. It's like the Oranges in geometry - no co-incidence methinks. A brilliant bike in its day.
I look at my Cotics and Stantons - they are steel. They are fast. They are WAY more competent than the Oranges or Bontrager.

The geometry is better. The brakes are better. The wheels are better.
Phew - the spirit of the Oranges and the Bontrager lives on in some brilliant contemporary steel bikes.

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":1imuedvp said:
I look at my 1995 Oranges - they are steel. They were fast, they were highly competent.
I look at my 1990 Bontrager Race OR. It's steel. It's like the Oranges in geometry - no co-incidence methinks. A brilliant bike in its day.
I look at my Cotics and Stantons - they are steel. They are fast. They are WAY more competent than the Oranges or Bontrager.

The geometry is better. The brakes are better. The wheels are better.
Phew - the spirit of the Oranges and the Bontrager lives on in some brilliant contemporary steel bikes.

Its hard to compare old and modern, for me my older xc bikes are quicker and more fun on singletrack than my modern bikes, the modern ones don't turn or accelerate as quick as the retros, nor are they as comfortable, of course if im having to pull the front up to jump obstacles then the modern is nicer, though that is more down to the stem bar set up.

comparing new and old bikes is wrong and has been agreed upon by John down the pub, they are two different bicycles.

they share no common parts except maybe cables and outer plus the saddle, ok, grips as well and maybe a stem top cap but as Shimano are making 1 1/ 1/8/8/1 topcaps the standard for 2021 that may change

Hey Orangey, I refuse to take a long view when mine's perfectly suited to my needs..
But seriously, I'm with you as far as the 90's Oranges, I have a '94 Clockwork. And I'm thinking that ten minutes on a Cotic would possibly convince me that I really should buy one. Thing is though, they'll never sell in big numbers. In the long view, I see zillions of aluminium alloy and carbon composite hi-tech bikes that are expected by makers and consumers alike to last for.. 3 years?

Back