What singlespeed gear ratio do you use??

thinking single speed myself on the ute bike, need to be able to run on all terrain and carry a kid seat ha ha

Re: Re:

JamesM":2863h29v said:
suburbanreuben":2863h29v said:
33:17 .
Just right for Surrey. No flat bits round here!

Odds too for even wear ;)
And it's only 3% lower than 32;16,
And it fits 16.75" (ie.most) chainstays with a very slightly worn chain and no tensioner!
Win, win,win...

Re:

I've been riding riding singlespeed for a few years now and i'm pretty settled on my gearing.

26er I run 34x17
29er (my daily) 32x18. I drop down to a 17t rear for races.

95% of my riding is on dirt, lots up ups and downs. I spin out fairly quick on the flats but that's okay because I usually catch up on the hills!

I ride a lot and wear equipment quick so I prefer durability over light weight, which means steel chainrings, WI freewheel, and a good chain (Wipperman Connex ss is my fav).

Re: Re:

suburbanreuben":290gpwvp said:
JamesM":290gpwvp said:
suburbanreuben":290gpwvp said:
33:17 .
Just right for Surrey. No flat bits round here!

Odds too for even wear ;)
And it's only 3% lower than 32;16,
And it fits 16.75" (ie.most) chainstays with a very slightly worn chain and no tensioner!
Win, win,win...

Where did you find a 33T ring? TA do them I know. I don't think one is available to fit a Middleburn Uno, annoyingly.

Re:

Surly do a 4 bolt 104 33T ring in steel. Middleburn don't do them but you could fit a 4 bolt spider.
For the chain I use a SRAM 870 (for gears) as it seems to be better made than SS chains, PC1 and the KMC one.

I like to go two teeth up on the big ring than a 2:1, usually 34:16, although when I lived right by t' Pennines I ran 2:1. If you get a Paul Melvin tensioner you can run 2 rings at the front - it was quite pleasant running 46/36 up front with a 17 at the rear, a riding along the road to the trail gear and a high-fiving Off-Road XXX-treme gear.

Re:

40:16 on my MTB/drop bar hybrid thing.
Fine for keeping up a good pace on flat canal towpaths and railway trails but tough on climbs.
Ideal bike for a nice 30 mile loop I can pick up from my doorstep.

34:18 on my SS mountain bike.

I've also got an old DiamondBack Ascent set up with 36:18 (2:1) which was perfect the last time I was at Thetford but a bit too high a gear for riding in the Peak District.

I tend to find that all to often people try to prescribe a universal, do it all, single speed ratio. I personally couldn't beg to differ more. I think that ultimately there are seemingly innumerable variables to consider when factoring in what ratio you will settle on at the end of the day, but i find that one of the most important factors remains the terrain that one rides on. Are you riding on loose gravel or hard pack with serious elevation fluctuation, or is your riding merely a short city commute where the tarmac is of immaculate condition and the hills are seemingly non existent. For city cruising i find a 36:16 ratio to be a great all rounder. With 1.9-2.1" wide semi slick 26" tires, i tend to find mostly everything the streets throw my way to be negotiable. When it comes to the irrigation ditches and single track in this area, i find that a 36:18 ratio works better when running 2.0-2.2" semi-knob treads. Another huge variable to consider is of course how fit you are, the overall weight of your rig, geometry, bicycle fitment, and your abilities as a rider or lackthereof to render the rocky terrain or city obstacles negligible. I noticed that to the degree that i ride with confidence and utilize the fruit of my previous experiences, i can to that very degree afford to ride slightly larger ratios. I still consider myself an amature when it comes to riding the various off road terrain that the city of Albuquerque, New Mexico has to offer, but when its all said and done i seem to gravitate toward the 36-38:18-16 range of ratio combinations for single speed riding.

(^_^)

Back